Looking for a simple EXTRACT second recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
OK guys...I need to do a second batch. Give me ideas for a simple recipe. Preferably an ale without any exotic hard to find ingrediants. I searched the recipes on this site but there are tonnes...most with at least partial grain. I dont want to start with grains yet...want to get a few extract recipes under my belt.

Thanks

Dave

The guy at my local brew shop hooked me up with an IPA for 33 bucks. Super simple... 3 hops and malt extract.

I don't know what kind of ales you like or what you consider exotic, but here's a little something I just pulled outta my ass:

2lb Amber LME 60min
1.25oz Willamette 4.5% 60min
.75oz Willamette 4.5% 10min
5lb Amber LME 10min
Safale S-04 @65F
1.046, 29IBU (full-wort boil; use more hops for partial), 12SRM

A super simple English-ish Pale Ale type thing.:mug:

Yeah, give us an idea of what you are looking for and I am sure we can give you a couple ideas. Also, I would encourage you to look into steeping grains, it is super easy and can add a lot of character to your beer.

Well, my very first brew I made was "Super" simple and turned out very good IMO (it was also a huge hit at the last Super bowl Party... we crushed a case of it...lol)

It is a basic Amber Wheat... or at least that is what I called it...lol

One can of Muntons wheat kit and one can of Amber Malt Extract..... That's it. I did use the yeast that came with the wheat kit. I did a single stage primary for 4 weeks and about 3 weeks in bottle.

It turned out so good I am trying to change the recipe (on BeerSmith) to incorporate steeping grains next time to avoid going the can route. This session brew is definitely on my "Brew Again" list.

Like I said it was my first and super simple. Hope this helps....

BierMunchers got a pretty simple recipe here. I brewed it up a couple weeks ago and it's in the secondary now. It was simple and cheap. And with the amount of replies on the original post it must be pretty good!! Here's the link to the post, and here's the recipe.
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Well, my very first brew I made was "Super" simple and turned out very good IMO (it was also a huge hit at the last Super bowl Party... we crushed a case of it...lol)

It is a basic Amber Wheat... or at least that is what I called it...lol

One can of Muntons wheat kit and one can of Amber Malt Extract..... That's it. I did use the yeast that came with the wheat kit. I did a single stage primary for 4 weeks and about 3 weeks in bottle.

It turned out so good I am trying to change the recipe (on BeerSmith) to incorporate steeping grains next time to avoid going the can route. This session brew is definitely on my "Brew Again" list.

Like I said it was my first and super simple. Hope this helps....

:off:
Sounds like it'd be something handy to have around the house for friends who aren't beer snobs. Do you remember what brand of Amber Malt Extract you used, or how much was in it? I'd like to try this recipe to have some on hand. (No LHBS out here, so I have to shop online)

OP: I brewed up this recipe from Midwest. Only change I made was to upgrade to White Labs liquid yeast. I don't think it could get much easier than this. Just one type of hops, and added at the start of the boil.

:off:
Sounds like it'd be something handy to have around the house for friends who aren't beer snobs. Do you remember what brand of Amber Malt Extract you used, or how much was in it? I'd like to try this recipe to have some on hand. (No LHBS out here, so I have to shop online)

The Amber malt was Muntins as well. I bought both (wheat kit and malt) at my LHBS, and felt raped once I left. That's why I am trying to duplicate it using Wheat LME and steeping grains next time. I payed over $45 for the batch (not knowing any better) where I can brew the same thing for around $20 bucks using the online store I use a lot. For that price I will have it going all the time...lol.

I plan on playing around with this one till I get it as close to original as possible (actually ordering the ingredients next pay day for first try). I'm using BeerSmith so hopefully I can get close (crossing fingers). It was most definitely an experiment that actually turned out to be a new discovery for me...lol

Ohh yea, both the wheat kit and the Amber malt was 3.3 lbs....

I don't know what kind of ales you like or what you consider exotic, but here's a little something I just pulled outta my ass:

2lb Amber LME 60min
1.25oz Willamette 4.5% 60min
.75oz Willamette 4.5% 10min
5lb Amber LME 10min
Safale S-04 @65F

You really need to find a better storage area for all this than your ass.

I gotta recommend Coopers Australian Pale Ale. I super-dry-hopped (2oz. Cascade) but it's not required although got excellent aroma and mouthfeel with it.
There is also a sale right now on makebeer.net on Irish Stout and IPA for only $12.99! (reg. ~$17.99) but they require additional fermentables. I used just the brew enhancer 2 with the APA and I can't comment on the irish stout or ipa as I'm not done with them (yet) but even the (stock kit) coopers lager I brewed is tasty!

Dont have the ingriedents in front of me but a newcastle clone is easy and rewarding with only 4 Oz. of grain to steep 15 min.

The Amber malt was Muntins as well. I bought both (wheat kit and malt) at my LHBS, and felt raped once I left. That's why I am trying to duplicate it using Wheat LME and steeping grains next time. I payed over $45 for the batch (not knowing any better) where I can brew the same thing for around $20 bucks using the online store I use a lot. For that price I will have it going all the time...lol.

I plan on playing around with this one till I get it as close to original as possible (actually ordering the ingredients next pay day for first try). I'm using BeerSmith so hopefully I can get close (crossing fingers). It was most definitely an experiment that actually turned out to be a new discovery for me...lol

Ohh yea, both the wheat kit and the Amber malt was 3.3 lbs....

Oh yeah, I'll be trying this one. I can get all of that (subbing the Munton's LME for Midwest's and using Notty yeast) for $27. At aprox. 54 bottles per batch, that comes to $0.50 per beer! Talk about a crowd pleaser. :ban:

Thanks for the tip.

Easy Simple Brew
5# Extra light DME
1oz fuggles 60 min
1/2 oz cascade 30
1/2 oz cascade 30

saf-04. Ready in about a week.

B

Latest posts

Back