Looking for a Pineapple Sculpin Clone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedSiloRob

Reaction score
Recently enjoyed Pineapple Sculpin from Ballast Point. Anybody come across a clone recipe? If not, what hops and yeast combination would you suggest for the most pineapple flavor without resorting to actual pineapple in a secondary?

Thanks & Cheers!:mug:

Also interested in how to pull this off. Can't really zest a pineapple, so that's out...add blended pineapple flesh to 2ndary? Will that retain some of the flavor once the yeast is done with it?

Here's the rough recipe I threw together based on my Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin clone combined with reading up on pineapple flavor and aroma. I'll be brewing it sometime in the next month or so.

Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin IPA
12lb 2row
1.25lb Crystal 10
1lb CaraPils
0.5lb Belgian CaraPils
Mash @149 90min

1oz magnum 60
2oz Amarillo(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Citra(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Simcoe(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
0.25lb Sugar 10min

10lb Thawed Frozen Pineapple DH14
US05

:mug:

I'm gonna have to make that. I too like the Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin...

Then drink out of a pineapple mug. :D

I just bought me one of these to grill pineapple with some thin beef sirlion strips that's been soaking in a puree of chipotle in adobo with achiote.

081213_pineapple_corer_2.jpg

Looks good! Go for it, I wish Icould help but ive never had it, but heard lots of good things about it.

Here's the rough recipe I threw together based on my Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin clone combined with reading up on pineapple flavor and aroma. I'll be brewing it sometime in the next month or so.

Ballast Point Pineapple Sculpin IPA
12lb 2row
1.25lb Crystal 10
1lb CaraPils
0.5lb Belgian CaraPils
Mash @149 90min

1oz magnum 60
2oz Amarillo(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Citra(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
2oz Simcoe(1/3oz ea 15,5,0; 1oz DH7)
0.25lb Sugar 10min

10lb Thawed Frozen Pineapple DH14
US05

:mug:

checking to see if you did brew this one. I have most of the grains need to pick up the hops though

checking to see if you did brew this one. I have most of the grains need to pick up the hops though

I'll be moving soon so I haven't brewed anything in a couple months. Moving next week so hopefully I'll get started back up soon after. I'll update whenever I get around to it.

Anyone tried this yet? I bought a 6-pack and love it, also had it at their brewery in San Diego. But at $18 for a 6-pack I'd rather brew it myself, obviously.

I'm thinking pineapple concentrate would work well and not consume a ton of volume in the secondary.

Back