Looking for a good long beer thief?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixalated

Reaction score
The beer thief that came with my kit is pretty crappy. It's too short, so I have to take multiple samples from my 6 gallon carboy. Also, the pieces don't seal well, so beer drips out when I talk samples. My LHBS doesn't have anything better in stock. What would you guys recommend?

Also, am I suppose to put the beer back into the carboy?

The beer thief that came with my kit is pretty crappy. It's too short, so I have to take multiple samples from my 6 gallon carboy. Also, the pieces don't seal well, so beer drips out when I talk samples. My LHBS doesn't have anything better in stock. What would you guys recommend?

Also, am I suppose to put the beer back into the carboy?

Every thief I have ever used dripped some. I use one similar to this:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermtech-wine-thief.html

No, do not return the sample to the fermenter. Drink the sample if it is palatable. If it's not palatable, ask yourself why and check again later. It's best not to mess with the beer for at least 10 days after brew day. Unnecessarily disturbing the beer can invite bad luck.

I don't see myself drinking the whole sample, at least not of my current brew. It's room temperature, but also too bitter. I think the bitterness is just "green beer", so I am not worried about that. The other flavors that come through are quite tasty.

The Fermtech wine theif works well. being clear the hydrometer can be read inside it - no need to transfer to a 2nd container. Also if you sanatize the theif and hydrometer, you can then drain it back in.

I personally think that there is some virtue in sampling your wort and beer as it goes, but I also think that the 4oz+ that the hydrometer needs to work in a standard tube size is more than you need to taste sample... maybe 1 oz or so.

With the refractometer, it depends on your goal - checking gravity/sugar ok.

but if you want a taste, or you want to test ph (useful with the Lambic style) then you will need more than a few drops that you can get from stick a long handle into the fermentor

I use the lower half of the 1/2" Fermtech Auto Siphon. If you remove the cap from the bottom it works great -- And it's dual purpose - for $13 you get an auto siphon AND a 20"" thief :rockin:

I use the lower half of the 1/2" Fermtech Auto Siphon. If you remove the cap from the bottom it works great -- And it's dual purpose - for $13 you get an auto siphon AND a 20"" thief :rockin:

I used my 3/8" autosiphon last sunday because I didn't have a hydrometer test tube. it kept sticking to the side so maybe 1/2" is minimum needed for accurate reading. I have since bought a test tube, but it seems its going to take a good amount of wort to get a reading :(

-=Jason=-

I've tried that too ... even the 1/2" has too much "pull" - there something about the charge of the plastic that draws your Hydro to the wall no matter how hard you try.
.... but you can use your new "AutoThief" to fill a test tube in one draw.

Oh, and I always drink the samples - besides being a great way to learn what's going on during fermentation, it "tastes great"

@Flomaster - I'm just using the standard test tube to float my hydrometer in. It is usually about 1/2c or 4 oz. or 3 tests=1 bottle I don't get to enjoy later because like vballdrummer says 'a great way to learn what's going on and it tastes great'

yeah I guess in the big picture its not that much beer out of 5 gallons I look forwarding to testing next week. its just to bad this is first brew and I don't have a pipeline built up because I'd love to properly condition it, but I am not that strong willed.

-=Jason=-

Like the one from Williams Brewing it's 18" long and it never drips. Takes about 3 pulls to get the right volume to measure the gravity. And like others have said I get to sample the brew as well.

Back