Looking for a good BB Stout Recipe (Mini Mash)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaworm69

Reaction score
I have a 7 gallon turkey fryer and a 12qt or 20qt stockpot to work with. I ferment in buckets and have a nice 1" blow off tube. Can someone set me in the right direction? I prefer Mini Mash due to my cheap equipment but would like to work real grain as much as possible. I'm hoping to do a bigger stout with at least 8-10% abv. Vanilla, chocolate, coffee, cinnamon ect...some of the flavors mentioned, which just sticks to the roof of my mouth! I would also like to oak with a spiral, cubes or chips and a good bourbon. I do not have a carboy for secondary but do have 2 brew buckets. Please help! Thanks in advance. Cheers!

Its not really easy, in my opinion, to brew a partial/mini mash when your using about 5-7 lbs of grain. Soakin wet grains.. weigh DAMN near a ton. I would FIRST invest in a MASH TUN, (Igloo cooler with ball valve) then attempt to tackle more grain recipes.

Edit added: on a side note, i recently made a Dry Stout, 4.5 weeks ago. ready to bottle now, that was something like this:

2lbs Flaked barley, 2lbs morris otter, 1lb (UK) black barley, 1lb carapils, 1/2lb Choc Malt,
2oz UK KENT GOLDINGS (60 mins)

3lbs of DME added after flame out. <------ add more to get your OG up where u want it.

my OG was roughly 1.044.

I disagree. It depends on the beer style. If the style uses heavy percentage of a standard base malt type available as extract, minimashing with some base grains and the adjuncts to supplement that base extract can work very well. And it's quite easy to deal with stove top mashing of a small volume.

I'd recommend looking at Russian imperial stout recipes. You can use a maris otter extract, and minimash with 2-row pale malt and the specialty malts/adjuncts.

Thanks guys its a start! I have mini mashed many times with 5+ pounds of grain, I do get lower efficenciey than expected, but I can deal with that for now. I do have an igloo that needs to be converted yet, but just haven't gotten around to it. I will look into the RR stout recipes and possibly go from there. Appreciate the responses and if anyone else has any ideas, they would be appreciated as well.

Back