Looking for a GF Imperial IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
Anyone have a source of a good gluten free Imperial IPA recipe? I have never made a gluten free beer and my friend wants to try and make one.
Wanna make a 5 gallon batch.

In order to get a Imperial IPA gravity I would have to use somewhere like 10lbs of sorghum, or maybe 8 lbs and add some sugars, D-45, or whatever.
Let me know what you guys have tried or have read. Thanks

This was the first IIPA I made and it was bloody fantastic.

http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/hop-too-far-iipa-brewing.html

I think I ended up halving the dry hops I had listed there but it was a great beer. I also recently did another one which was a very big beer. Haven't got around to doing the recipe up yet.

I'm currently fermenting a beer based on the hopping of Green Flash West Coast IPA https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-green-flash-west-coast-ipa-175363/ . This is my west coast IPA Recipe http://gfhomebrewing.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/west-coast-style-ipa.html

Are you dead-set on doing all-extract? If so, I would recommend rather than doing all sorghum, you use a combo of sorghum, rice extract (solids or syrup work equally well), candi syrup, raw honey, and maltodextrine. For an IIPA, the "Golden" candi syrup would be a good addition, rather than amber/D-45. Raw honey is pretty essential to getting some residual sweetness--it can really help balance out the dry twang of the sorghum.

I also recommend skewing your hop schedule toward the very late end of the boil, unless you want to use a large portion of honey (in which case, go nuts in the early additions). For beers that are all (or mostly) sorghum, it's usually best to get around half your IBUs from additions made at 15 min or later. And use a really smooth bittering hop, like Magnum or Millenium. Sorghum beers usually finish quite dry and can be easily unbalanced by too much early-addition bitterness.

I'll add the additional caveat that sorghum *REALLY* enhances the citrus flavor of American "C" hops. To the point where you will feel like you're drinking alcoholic grapefruit juice if you go overboard. Mixing up the sorghum as I advise can really help avoid that.

Would you suggest doing 1:1 replacement of the late sorghum with honey? My original plan was to do the 3.3lb sorghum @ 60. Than do a 3lb honey flameout addition, along with the candi syrup.

Would you suggest doing 1:1 replacement of the late sorghum with honey? My original plan was to do the 3.3lb sorghum @ 60. Than do a 3lb honey flameout addition, along with the candi syrup.

No no no no! I would not even remotely recommend adding more than 3/4 of a pound of honey. And be sure to add yeast nutrient.

Latest posts

Back