Looking for a female ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CorgiBrew

Reaction score
... three-prong dryer plug (haha, made you look! ;)). Rather than put two three-prong recepticals in my CP for the dryer cords from the HWT and BK to plug into, I'd like to run a few feet of 3/10 out from the CP ending with female plugs. Having a hard time finding something like this. Anyone else come across these?

It's a NEMA 10-30R. I can find recepticals, but not receptical plugs (if you know what I mean).

It's a NEMA 10-30R. I can find recepticals, but not receptical plugs (if you know what I mean).

I can't search ebay from here... but look for RV Extension Cords and look at the replacement parts. I bought a male (the 4 prong opposite of of what you are looking for, but I know they had females as well). The one I got has a built in handle and is really nice. I think it was about $18.

Yep, that's what I'm looking for. Wonder why McMaster's so pricy?

I've said that same thing on lots of stuff on my build :D. The flanged L6-30 connectors on my control box were something like $52 together from McMaster, which was still a lot less expensive than the ones a local electrical shop offered to order in for me.

I can't search ebay from here... but look for RV Extension Cords and look at the replacement parts. I bought a male (the 4 prong opposite of of what you are looking for, but I know they had females as well). The one I got has a built in handle and is really nice. I think it was about $18.

Yeah, I've seen those but they look like the ground slot is rounded instead of L shaped (i.e. NEMA 10-30R) so I'm assuming they're not compatable? Also, even though there are 10/30 setups, they all see to be rated for 120V, not 240 (the extension cords, that is). Maybe that's a function of the lenth of the runs (i.e., 25' to 50')? If I were starting from scratch, I probably wouldn't have used dryer cord with the elements, but we are where we are ...

I've said that same thing on lots of stuff on my build :D. The flanged L6-30 connectors on my control box were something like $52 together from McMaster, which was still a lot less expensive than the ones a local electrical shop offered to order in for me.

I feel your pain .... If I'd planned better, I could have avoided this. :( Oh well, it's an adventure, right?

I built my control panel like this. I used twistloc adapters though. I found them at fruitridgetools.com for about 20 dollars each.
PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

I built my control panel like this. I used twistloc adapters though. I found them at fruitridgetools.com for about 20 dollars each.
PICT0001-2.jpg

PICT0002-2.jpg

Hey, that's the photo I got (stole) my idea from! :D I would definitely switch to the twistlocs, but I've already set up my elements with dryer cord (potted with epoxy). I wonder if I can replace the dryer cord's NEMA 10-30P with a twistlock plug?

Yeah, that's probably the way I'll go. Much less expensive, if somewhat less sexy. It will do what I need to it do. Thanks!

although I'm not a big fan, I find Menards usually has a pretty good selection of the larger dryer plugs and such. usually at a decent price too

Yeah, not using Romex. Using 10-3 SO. Wouldn't 10-4 be overkill? The elements have two hots plus a ground to the kettle.

you have it straight. You don't need neutral for wiring to the elements. Someone may have been thinking main power wiring. The 4th wire is to make 120v available.
I have a 6/4 SO for my main... you could literally beat someone to death easily with it. And you should see that 60 amp outlet and plug! massive

Edit: I just realized something although I don't think it matters for you... nema 10-30 is designed for 2 hots and a neutral, not ground. That's why its listed as 120/240v. There is another nema variation that is only for 240v, 2 hots and ground. Like I said, I doubt it matters but its worth making sure about.

Thanks Budzu. I'm using 10/4 for my CP main power so I can split off the 120V for my PID, pump, etc. 6/4 SO sounds MASSIVE! Dropped beaucoup bucks on L6-30 connectors at HD last night, but this way, at least it'll be done nice and shiny. Going to cut off the dryer cord plugs and switch them to the L6-30P's. I believe that the third slot on the L6-30 connectors is ground, not neutral, but I'll double check. Hope to be powered up by this weekend. :ban:

Aren't the L6-10 plugs only rated to 10A? What elements are you running? I'd suspect they're over 20A.

Back