Looking for a bit of help with rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winovino

Reaction score
Hi all,

i took the leap and decided to build a rims tube for mashing and heating mash water but i think i may be in a bit over my head.

After ordering a few parts from amazon i read a bit more and realized i may have made a mistake.

I wasnt aware there were different kinds of pid's (rnr/snr) and ssr's. (va/da)
After a bit of reading i think i've determined that what i got may not be compatible and am looking for a bit of conformation.

The pid is a mypin t series rnr
the ssr is a 40a da

Here's what i ordered
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JWIDCE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E1LC1VK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

any and all input appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You should be good. What size element are you putting in it? 120 volt and how many watts?
Check out this pic. It helped me greatly. Your PID might be different on the terminals but it will be maked. Let me know if you have questions.

Power cord to smoker would be to RIMS and power to generator would be from outlet.
diagram.jpg

my plan was to use a 5500w 240v element and run it at 120v for the time being and to eventually install a 240v outlet in the garage.

defiantly building an enclosure for everything, and i already got the heat sink. i was planning on adding an ac cooling fan to the enclosure too.

I haven't dabbled in the 240 volt realm but as far as the PID and SSR you're fine. The PID has a DC output that turns on the SSR relay.
Just use a heat sink.

You either need an SNR type controller... OR an additional 5v/12v AC->DC adapter for your system to work

I'd personally get an SNR type controller because that way you'll get finer control of the SSR triggering because your RNR DOES NOT have a dedicated SSR output

The diagram by brewinaround WILL NOT WORK for your rnr pid controller

Whoops just saw the reply. Yes, a fan to keep things cool is the route i went. I have two SSR in a box and it keeps them nice and cool. Time will tell if they fail i suppose.
20160308_220251.jpg

out of curiosity what is the additional dc voltage for? if my understanding is correct the SNR/RNR just denotes what the outputs are for (ssr, none, and relay) correct?
How about the va/da on the ssr's? I cant seem to find that info anywhere and would love to learn it before i go playing with voltage

RNR = Relay contact closure
SNR = SSR dedicated Output

If you're trying to drive an SSR, you'll need to feed 3-32 volts DC into one of the rnr contacts and the other to the SSR+ for any voltage to enable said SSR... NOTE that RNR will not drive nearly as dynamically as a direct SSR output builtin to the pid because physical mechanical outputs cannot drive nearly as fast as enabled SSR output...

Think of it as though RNR = Lada where SNR=Lambo/Ferrarri in comparison

Only need to replace the RNR controller, the SSR you have should be more than capable of handling either 120 or 240v... OR keep the RNR and use it as a controller for your next project (fermentation controller) lol

gotcha, that was my understanding and the only piece i issued the return on. would keep the controller but i have a few stc-1000's and a diy brewpi. amazon is pretty reasonable on returns anyway.
thanks again!

one more question if you dont mind.

i understand there are a few different kinds of temp probes, rtd, k, etc.

Do these cheap controllers accept any type, or are they designed for a certain kind?

the data sheet for the rnr pid doest specify rtd as a valid input, but it does say pt100 and k type.
all the pt100 i can find on amazon are rtd (which i'd rather use)

Whichever you find works just make sure they're stainless. The stock probes i received completely rusted in one batch.

Back