Looking for 3bbl mash tun options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlkWater_brewer

Reaction score
Looking at bumping up equipment size while keeping to DIY just on larger scale. Increasing from 1/2 bbl to 3 bbl, have the HLT and BK set but a bit fuzzy on a RIMS setup heater requirement. Original idea was just a larger size RIMS tube with dual elements. Would I be better off with a HERMS system. Gathering ideas now don't anticipate being online until August.

I'll be interested to see the responses on this one also. In my totally uneducated opinion, anything above 2 bbl is getting outside the realm of DIY. Just doing a little math, 100 gal of wort requires approximately 250 lbs of dry grist. Water absorption will double that, so you'll be removing about 500 lbs of spent grain. While one of these is spendy, I'm thinking the heavy construction and manway would be worth it.

Looking at bumping up equipment size while keeping to DIY just on larger scale. Increasing from 1/2 bbl to 3 bbl, have the HLT and BK set but a bit fuzzy on a RIMS setup heater requirement. Original idea was just a larger size RIMS tube with dual elements. Would I be better off with a HERMS system. Gathering ideas now don't anticipate being online until August.

I think that at this size RIMS is the only way to go. Especially if you get to a point that you want to double batch. I bet stout kettles would give you the specs on a RIMS tube sized for 3bbl. I can ask a pro brewer I know as well. He runs a 3bbl nano and uses a RIMS to maintain mash temps. His biggest bottle neck is heating water in the HLT. Wintertime the water comes in at 50 degrees and he almost can't get the sparge water hot in time. He does at least double batches every brew and sometimes triple batches for the more popular core beers.

I think that at this size RIMS is the only way to go. Especially if you get to a point that you want to double batch. I bet stout kettles would give you the specs on a RIMS tube sized for 3bbl. I can ask a pro brewer I know as well. He runs a 3bbl nano and uses a RIMS to maintain mash temps. His biggest bottle neck is heating water in the HLT. Wintertime the water comes in at 50 degrees and he almost can't get the sparge water hot in time. He does at least double batches every brew and sometimes triple batches for the more popular core beers.

My water is 50 degrees year round, to cheat I also have on demand hot water and if I'm am short on time I'll start with 140 degree water. Figured my gas cost was a wash with my electric rates so that settles that issue for me at least. Pretty much decided on a RIMS just wanted to keep options open.

PF, yep something like that. I'm sure a quick call to them would ascertain what size element they recommend. They partner with Brewmation for controls so I'd bet that on a fully assembled RIMS they would be running around 4kw elements in the RIMS tube, probably on 3-phase power.

Back