Looking for 3 way SS Motorized Valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewvet

Reaction score
I am in the process of designing my brewery using a BCS-462 and wanting to automate as much as possible. In diagraming this, I realized I could save a lot of resources (outputs) using 3 Way SS Motorized Valves. In searching for them they seem to be much more expensive then a 2 way valve, anyone know of a decent priced source for them?

:mug:

TIA

Just from experiance, I'm actually going to replace my 3 ways with 2 2-ways. The thing that I find frustrating is that there is no "off" on a normal 3 way valve, that has been problematic in my rig.

Just something to think about when you are planning the plumbing layout. You may want a manual close valve or some such in some situations.

I have two three ways which work well. One determines path from wort pump back to BK (whirlpool) or exit via manual valve (to draw runnings SG and exit to fermenter). Just need to design to accommodate all scenarios.

I have two three ways which work well. One determines path from wort pump back to BK (whirlpool) or exit via manual valve (to draw runnings SG and exit to fermenter). Just need to design to accommodate all scenarios.

Exactly!

Just from experiance, I'm actually going to replace my 3 ways with 2 2-ways. The thing that I find frustrating is that there is no "off" on a normal 3 way valve, that has been problematic in my rig.

Just something to think about when you are planning the plumbing layout. You may want a manual close valve or some such in some situations.

Thanks for the input, after thinking about my layout its really just easier and cheaper to use 2 way valves with a 't'.

These are beautiful valves. But TC versions like these that I have found are crazy big and silly expensive. I don't mind spending a buck, but it is hard to justify this kind of chingle when the threaded port valves work so well. If I were serious about TC valves, I would use motorized butterfly valves, as there is no ball seat for gunk to get behind. Currently I run a lengthy but automated cleaning cycle with hot PBW and cycle my ball valves frequently along the way to wash out their insides. I haven't taken any apart to see the result - but ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for the input, I ordered a 4 relay DPDT DIN Mount 12v Board to take care of that requirement.

:mug:

Any opposition to brass?, much cheaper.

Thought about brass, as you said much cheaper. But just couldn't get myself to do as everything else is SS. Since I found these the price wasn't that much higher then the brass version.

wow, when the Aliexpress price is $65, I know I REALLY wouldn't like the more legitimate version's price!

did you look at the 30D series from Assured Automation? They are stainless steel tri-clamp 3-way ball valves with a variety of actuators both electric and pneumatic. They are not cheap ($790 for a 1/2"), but they are the perfect solution for your application. There is also a more affordable option (33D series) if you want to use NPT threaded valves ($556 for 1/2") or using the CE (miniature) actuator on a 33D you can get a 3/8" for $334 if that size will work. Using two 2-way ball valves is a good option, however that will require two actuators, unless you somehow use a linkage arm to connect them, which could get tricky, so you'd have to price it all out to compare. you will find a selection of 2-way ball valves at the same site. Again... not cheap, but these are what the big brewers use and many have a higher quality stem sealing system to provide a longer service life. Less downtime, less maintenance, more beer!

Back