Longest time you waited b4 drinking your hombrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aliu630

Reaction score
So I've seen people talk about aging their beers and whatnot. Just curious to see how long ppl have stored their homebrews for. So...what's the longest time you've waited before opening up a bottle?

I have a case of Chocolate Oatmeal Stout that is a year old this coming week!

Three months for some 7.5%+ beers. Since I don't usually brew anything strong, I usually wait 10-14 days in the keg before drinking...

7 months for an Oktoberfest. It was my best beer ever. Unfortunately it was made for a party and I only had about 4 pints of it before it was gone.:( This March I'm going to make 15 gal of it.

1 year.....

i forgot about the case until i moved..... Made a very interesting Irish Ale, rather good actually.

If you are asking about first sample - 1 day. If you are asking oldest bottle - 12 years. I also have a bottle from my first batch which I brewed something like 27 years ago! I don't think I want or will open that one!

Brewpastor said:
If you are asking about first sample - 1 day. If you are asking oldest bottle - 12 years. I also have a bottle from my first batch which I brewed something like 27 years ago! I don't think I want or will open that one!

That is impressive! I think you've inspired me to do the same.

I still have 6 left from my very first batch which was brewed last July.

I'm hoping to save my IIPA and the 888 for a couple of years each.

The 8-8-8 Russian imperial stout will be a test in patience for me, August is still a long way off.

I have a bottle of Brewtopia's Grapes of Wrath that is calling me on a daily basis, but I'm not planning on opening up that bad boy until sometime in December.

And then there is the 2007 bottle of Fred from the Wood, that I probably won't open up until sometime in 2009.

PseudoChef said:
That is impressive! I think you've inspired me to do the same.

I still have 6 left from my very first batch which was brewed last July.

I'm hoping to save my IIPA and the 888 for a couple of years each.

Here is the one that started it all:

CIMG0446-Version2.jpg

I've waited up to one whole week before tasting. As for how long I've kept a batch - about 6 months. I love my hops - I'd rather enjoy them than let them fade.

barely said:
I've waited up to one whole week before tasting. As for how long I've kept a batch - about 6 months. I love my hops - I'd rather enjoy them than let them fade.

That is such a good point. Don't let your tasty brew go to waste while waiting for some thing magical to happen.

I had a 1.080 Alt I let go once. Sampling one every month. The fifth one was too good to save for a sixth month.

Brewpastor said:

holy CRAP! 12 years?? How'd those taste? I just started brewing recently but plan on saving a bottle from each batch I make as well

I like to save brews. Sometimes it is worth it - rich round and amazing. Other times it was a mistake. My advice is let the big ones ride and pound anything else!

Does having a glass during bottling count? Otherwise, 3 months. Sad, I know. Plus I was out of town the whole time. How can you resist? And it's so interesting to taste differences as it ages.

Revvy said:
That is one fine looking bottle, there. What was originally in it?

Grape soda I think. I found it on a boy scout camp-out when I was something like 13. Carried it around for years and finally found its slot.

So far? 1.5months, for my holiday porter. Some of the stuff I have planned will need to wait a lot longer than that :) My barleywine has been in the bottle for a month, I've actually tried one already (even though I knew it was nowhere near ready...I wanted a before and after comparison,) and it was already pretty good. A pretty hot taste, but good.

I still haven't developed the patience or the back stock to wait that long - I think the longest time from bottling to popping the first one has been about three weeks. I have let some age 6-8 months before they go the way of the dinosaur. I have found that the higher A.B.V. beers age very well except for the hefe's - they go south after about the four month mark. I don't know if this is consistent but I had two batches that were great young but not so much after six months. They were a little sour tasting and that unique hefe flavor was greatly diminished. I won't take chance with the next hefe to find out. They will all die young. :}

Seven moths fo an Oktoberfest. About a year for a mead.

Oh, and Pastor? Regarding that 27 year old bottle?? I double-dog dare ya!

Back