Long time all grain brewer going back to extract and I'm glad I did.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If there are no dates on the container, there are other techniques (some going back to 2005 podcasts) for evaluating the quality of 'extract' before using it. Or just use it and see how it comes out.

Watch out for kit instructions that use a concentrated boil (1/2 the water and all the DME/LME at the start of the boil). It is said that concentrated boils can lead to darker than expected wort or unexpected flavors.

eta: if using tap water, be sure to treat it for chloride/chloramine and be aware that 'high' concentrations of minerals will have an impact (often negative) on the finished beer.

Last edited:
18 years ago I happened on a homebrew club & shop having an event in a parking lot. It smelled amazing. A year later I was brewing.
I often had that slight but present off- flavor from the extract. At some point after i started all grain, the thinking was to reduce boil time with the extract to even less than 30 minutes. Is that still the case? Might be fun to do a fast extract beer from time to time.

Back