Long term aging...in the fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mixmasterob

Reaction score
I brewed this https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-chocolate-oatmeal-snout-126638/ and bottled it 3 weeks ago. I have drank a few, they are well carbonated, maybe too much, but still taste somewhat green. I come home today and notice that my two 22 oz bombers had exploded, the rest of the bottles were in normal 12 oz bottles. So, to avoid any more bottle bombs should I put them in the fridge? And if I do so, will they still age properly?

They'll age a little slower, but won't assplode anymore. If they're seeming overcarbed and you have bottles going boom, the definitely get them chilled down to stop the yeast and lower the pressure. Sounds like you may have bottled a tad early. You'll probably be left with a little extra sugar that won't get devoured by the yeast, but in a bitter beer like that you probably won't notice it much.

It hung out for over 3 weeks in the primary. I think I just primed it too much. Might be time to invest in a better scale! So they will lose that 'green-ness' in the fridge?

That recipe didn't take too long to lose it's green-ness for me. You're looking at a month instead of two weeks at this point, maybe.

Back