Long Strange Tripel Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

finsfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am really into Belgian beers at the moment and will be brewing a few different Tripels here soon. One that I really wanted to try to recreate is Boulevard's Long Strange Tripel but there is not a clone recipe out there, except from AIH which is back ordered. I contacted Boulevard this morning with a recipe that I had made up using the information off of their website. I just got a response back with the grist percentages and other recommendations! :rockin:

Without further ado, here is the recipe I will be testing out soon!

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Long Strange Tripel Clone

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Belgian Tripel
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.059
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.080
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 9.17%
IBU (tinseth): 24.98
SRM (morey): 4.43

FERMENTABLES:
13 lb - German - Pilsner (85.5%)
0.6 lb - Belgian - Munich (3.9%)
0.55 lb - Belgian - Wheat (3.6%)
0.55 lb - Flaked Oats (3.6%)
0.5 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (3.3%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 17.61
1 oz - saphir, Type: Pellet, AA: 3, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 7.37

Mash at 150* for 60 minutes.

YEAST:
Wyeast - Trappist High Gravity 3787
Start fermenting at 66F and slowly raise to 73 after a few days.

The reason the color does not match the stats on their website is due to the special "pale malt" base grain they have premixed by their maltster. Boulevard recommended using Belgian pilsner which will get close but will be a little lighter. I am using German pilsen because that is what I have on hand. You may want to increase the amount of Belgian pilsner malt by a few percentages points if you use that since it provides slightly less fermentables.

I hope to brew this beer up in the next couple weeks when I finally get another primary. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions.

I missed the release this last year and it got bought up before I could find one. Luckily my brother snagged one. It was awesome! Can't wait to hear how this turns out. I'd love to try and clone it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I missed the release this last year and it got bought up before I could find one. Luckily my brother snagged one. It was awesome! Can't wait to hear how this turns out. I'd love to try and clone it.

We get it in 12oz bottles up here year around. Their website says its a seasonal release and only 750's but I figured that was wrong. This is interesting to hear. Definitely one of my favorite tripels and this thing gets crazy good after 6 months of age on it.

I get once a year in 750's. I wish it came in 4pks. That would make it so much easier to age.

I get once a year in 750's. I wish it came in 4pks. That would make it so much easier to age. It's definitely one of my favorite triples.

Brew day went good yesterday until i realized i added an extra gallon when sparging. Only missed my OG by 8 points but still bummed i made that bone head mistake. Should be good either way and now i just have an excuse to try this one again sooner than later.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405868633.948746.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405868644.811638.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405868656.689330.jpg

First sample this morning. Tastes like a great tripel, now i just need to get this bottled and carbed for the true test. Pretty excited for this one!

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1407436876.240594.jpg

Long Strange is one of my all time favorites. Will definitely try this in the future. That's great that they gave you all of the grist percentages. I would have guessed a small amount of crystal 20 or 40 would be in it.

Long Strange is one of my all time favorites. Will definitely try this in the future. That's great that they gave you all of the grist percentages. I would have guessed a small amount of crystal 20 or 40 would be in it.

It sucks they couldnt give me the exact pale ale malt mix, but i was surprised they gave me what they did. The sample tasted dang close even though it wont be as dark. Cheers!

Looks like this is going to have to make it into the rotation. Thanks for doing the leg work Fins!

If there is any interest, I have quite a few of their recipes saved in my Beersmith. I know a couple of the brewers there, and boulevard doesn't have a privacy clause, so brewers are free to share recipes.

My personal favorite is their seeyoulater dopple bock, I think the next one I may seek out is their lunar ale from way back when.

If there is any interest, I have quite a few of their recipes saved in my Beersmith. I know a couple of the brewers there, and boulevard doesn't have a privacy clause, so brewers are free to share recipes.

My personal favorite is their seeyoulater dopple bock, I think the next one I may seek out is their lunar ale from way back when.

Yes please! That would be awesome.

How did the clone turn out?

It turned out to be a great Tripel! I miss guessed my volumes and ended up with an extra gallon so its 1.5% less than it should be. Once i rebrew it and hit my numbers, it should be pretty dang close. It still does taste like it, but a little thinner obviously. Great beer tho!

That's awesome. I will definitely be giving this one a try. It will save me $12 a four pack.

I have not. Life has gotten in the way and my brewing has been put off lately. Starting a new job which involves creating a business from the ground up while still working at my current job. Preparing for a move once the business is created, shopping for a new car, and worst of all is I cant drink alcohol for 6 months... Haha it will eventually get brewed again once I get settled in my new place but for now all brewing has come to a halt unfortunately. If I change anything it will be to use wlp500 instead of 3787.

Just tried this beer (real thing not the clone) a few days ago and I really liked it. I'll be brewing this clone recipe in the near future.

Thanks for the recipe fins, I've had this kegged for 5-6 days, almost carbed but needs a little more plus another week and a half to two weeks at lagering temps. Took a glass today to check carb level and taste. It's good.

I modified the grain bill a little bit and subbed styrian golding for saphir only because I couldn't find it.

20150513_144155.jpg

Back