long story.. I'll take your suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeyg1977

Reaction score
I've had my first and second batches in the fermenter now for 4 weeks and 4 days respectively. The first batch belgian triple by BB(yeah I know I didn't know any better at the time) I brewed up and followed directions to the best of my ability at the time. What I did not realize was that the yeast that came in the kit somehow was lager yeast, which seems like somebody must have tampered with the kit. I pitched dry yeast, I started at 1.084 and had active fermentation for about 3 days and then it really slowed (airlock wise). I read up and knew that yeast should continue working. So I checked the gravity after a week and it was 1.030 three days later still 1.030. So I got anxious and figured that lager yeast probably couldn't do any more for me and thought I needed a yeast that could finish a belgian. So I made my first attempt at a starter with some white labs belgian yeast (i don't recall the number now). I pitched it into my mostly fermented wort at 13 days. I have periodically swirled the bucket to rouse the yeast in hopes it could drop some more. It has been at a steady 73-74 degrees since pitching. I checked the SG at 20 days and still at 1.030. Now at about 4 weeks I've basically left it alone for a while and I notice that it is bubbling more actively now (once every 4-5 minutes) than the end of the first week but have not checked SG since.
My plan has been that if the SG remains about 1.030 in the belgian, that I will rack it onto the Whitehouse Honey Ale cake that I hope to bottle in another 10 days.
a few more things..
The belgian tasted good, I tried to see if it was overly sweet, but it didn't really seem it. I read about Amylase Enzyme and Beano and ultimately don't think I'm seasoned enough to try to stop it and wouldn't want a belgian to be too dry. I have not used yeast nutrient.. should I?
Since the Whitehouse Honey Ale is S-04, and I've already used Lager and Belgian yeasts... what could happen? What would you do?

Honestly, it may just be done. If you already tried pitching Belgian yeast in there and had no results, I don't think racking it onto a S-04 cake will do any good. I'd check the gravity one more time and if it's the same go ahead and bottle it. Just curious, was this an extract batch or all grain?

I know wyeast belgian yeast is notorious for stalling at 1.030 without temps near or above 90F, not sure if it is the same strain, though.

If this is the case, racking it onto the S-04 cake may help finish it. However, you say that you are pleased with the taste. I would think it would be fine to bottle.

BryceL said:
Honestly, it may just be done. If you already tried pitching Belgian yeast in there and had no results, I don't think racking it onto a S-04 cake will do any good. I'd check the gravity one more time and if it's the same go ahead and bottle it. Just curious, was this an extract batch or all grain?

Well it was a partial extract kit. Could it hurt anything to rack onto s-04 cake?

The saison I brewed last fall stalled out around 1.030. I ended up pitching some 05 onto it, which brought it down around 1.014. It can't hurt to try another pith and see what happens. Good luck!

I had Wyeast 3711 stall at 1030 a few batches ago. OG was 1052. Fermentation temp started in the high 60's. for a few weeks.
I fermwrapped the glass carboy it was in and regulated the temp up to 76 for about a week. . This did the trick for me. Brought it down to 1010.

Back