Long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmccoy

Reaction score
I made an ipa from an extract kit on 11/26, only the third batch I've made so far. My other two had a normal period of active fermentation and they turned out pretty good. This one however, I pitched at a little lower temperature (63) and it took about 36 hours before I saw signs of active fermentation. But now it's going on day 16 or so and its still bubbling a bit. I haven't done a gravity reading yet. My questions are is the long fermentation going to make it taste boozy? And what do you think caused it? Also I've read you shouldn't dry hop until fermentation is done. So am I right in thinking I should hold off?

Airlocks bubble for other reasons than fermentation- sometimes the barometric pressure is changing, or the temperature in a house is increasing. There is no way to know if the beer is fermenting or if it is done without taking a hydrometer reading.

Well I'll take one today and check it again in a couple days. Would you think I'd be ok to dry hop?

Wait to dry hop until you confirm fermentation is complete. I wait until most of the CO2 produced by the fermentation has off gassed, to keep the hop aromas from being scrubbed out of the beer.

Back