Long Distance beer Line run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blatz2

Reaction score
I have my "Keezer" Set up in the basement and a line that runs up and outside to my garage, Draft tower is on the work bench (Sweet!) Beer line runs through 2" PVC with a 1 1/4" line from the blower, I'm not worried about keeping brew cold, my concearn is the beer length is about 10' total, mabe longer, my concearn is over carbinating because I have to keep co2 pressure up high to get a nice pour at the tower. I have not connected a keg yet, just wanted to get anyones thoughts. Beer line is the standard size, I didn't go big but should I have?

"Beer line is the standard size" isn't very helpful... is it 3/16" or 1/4", that changes things a lot. If it's 1/4" you shouldn't have any trouble, 3/16" will need a bit more pressure. 10' isn't really a long distance run.

I wouldn't worry about it. I use 10-12' of 3/16" and keep my beer at normal pressures and still get a great pour.

I must state how important the lines are kept cold from point A to B. You must keep beer at keezer temp. all the way to tower at all times, You should have lines running thru inner conduit with blower cold air from keezer all the way to tower, than cold air is returned to keezer via the larger 2" pvc, so you have a continuous circulation of cold-air all the time. Also insulate the outside of the larger 2" pvc tube will help. This is the basic tube-in-tube design for forced-air cooling of a single or T-tower draft tower. Make sure you have a sufficient blower motor to circulate enough cold air to keep this area cold, or you will have foaming issues. Hope this helps!!! http://www.micromatic.com/draft-keg-beer/air-cooled-cid-130.html

Thats exactly how I have mine set up.. Six lines from a walk-in cooler, through an insulated four inch PVC pipe, to an air-tight coffin box on the bar, and the air then circulates back through a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe back to the walk-in.

My lines are 35 feet long and I push beer at about 13 PSI.

I've been doing it for over two years and never had a problem

Edit: And my "blower" is a two inch computer fan I bought at Radio Shack for about eight bucks. You don't have to go anywhere near as elaborate as the micromatic equip. You don't need the air to circulate with hurricane force wind. As long as it is barely moving, it'll keep the lines chilled enough. Like I was saying, I've never had a foam issue.

Could you supply some images or diagrams of your setup, thinking about doing something similar, through an interior wall.

I wouldn't worry about it. I use 10-12' of 3/16" and keep my beer at normal pressures and still get a great pour.

This. With picnic taps, I needed about 10' of line to balance my pour, or it was too hard and CO2 blew out of solution with my picnic taps. a proper faucet will change things a bit, but I don't see 10' of 3/16" ID, at 12-14psi being a problem.

Thats exactly how I have mine set up.. Six lines from a walk-in cooler, through an insulated four inch PVC pipe, to an air-tight coffin box on the bar, and the air then circulates back through a 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe back to the walk-in.

My lines are 35 feet long and I push beer at about 13 PSI.

I've been doing it for over two years and never had a problem

Edit: And my "blower" is a two inch computer fan I bought at Radio Shack for about eight bucks. You don't have to go anywhere near as elaborate as the micromatic equip. You don't need the air to circulate with hurricane force wind. As long as it is barely moving, it'll keep the lines chilled enough. Like I was saying, I've never had a foam issue.

Hey, are you using 1/4" lines on your 35' runs? Also, are you still using 5/16" gas in lines?
Thanks,

I know it's an old thread, but just in case anybody is looking for more data, my 1/4" lines are about 18 feet long which includes a vertical lift of about 8-10 feet, and I have plenty of pressure at the taps when using typical (~11 psi) serving pressures.

Back