Long conversion times with wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grnich

Reaction score
Did an AG hefe on the weekend with about a 45% malted wheat grainbill. The starch conversion took 2 hours to complete. I'm sure I must have done something wrong. The other 55% was German Pilsner malt. My mash
temp was a little higher than usual at 158F, but I let it cool a bit to about 153F after an hour. This is my first wheat/barley AG. Plus I got crappy efficiency of 67%.

Why would the conversion take so long? Should I have stirred it more to distribute the enzymes to the wheat starch better?

I did an AG hefe yesterday as well with 60% wheat and I hit my post-boil OG right on. Mash only took 60 minutes. This was a spur of the moment recipe and I didn't have any pilsner malt so I used 2-row, not sure what kind of difference that would make. I also didn't add any rice hulls so I was a little worried but my shiny new copper manifold worked extremely well.

Mashed at 152F and gave it a quick stir every 15 minutes. Did a 15 minute rest after adding the sparge water and running off. Wort tasted awesome and it's up in the blow off tube already (13 hours).

Edit: I forgot to mention, I got 76% efficiency.

Well brad that sounds pretty good. Maybe my Pilsner has less enzymes. I think wheat can't convert itself, but I'm not sure. Next time I think I'll stir every 15 minutes. I'm just worried about letting too much heat out.

A mash-in at 158F de-natures beta amylase completely in a few minutes, so all you have working is the alpha. They'll do the job, just takes more time.

Wheat malt has its own enzymes. In theory, you could do 100% wheat malt or even use it as a base with specialty grains.

grnich said:
Well brad that sounds pretty good. Maybe my Pilsner has less enzymes. I think wheat can't convert itself, but I'm not sure. Next time I think I'll stir every 15 minutes. I'm just worried about letting too much heat out.

According to the wiki pilsner has a pretty high diastatic power (though not as high as 2-row) so I don't think that would make too much difference. When I stir I only have the lid off for about 15 seconds so I don't worry too much about heat loss. I don't lose a single degree over the 60 minute mash - at least within the accuracy of my digital thermometer, your mileage may vary.

Light wheat and especially Pilsner should have enough enzymatic strength to convert within 30 min, especially if you mash at 158 *F (the hotter the mash, the faster the conversion). Did you check the pH of the mash? I think your poor conversion and efficiency might have the same root cause.

If you didn't check pH can you get us the Ca, Mg and bicarbonate/alkalinity numbers of the water?

Kai

Kaiser said:
Light wheat and especially Pilsner should have enough enzymatic strength to convert within 30 min, especially if you mash at 158 *F (the hotter the mash, the faster the conversion). Did you check the pH of the mash? I think your poor conversion and efficiency might have the same root cause.

If you didn't check pH can you get us the Ca, Mg and bicarbonate/alkalinity numbers of the water?

Kai

So you don't think a lack of stirring was a problem? I gave it a good stir on mash-in. The water I used was a big bottle of bottled spring water, which is the first time I didn't use tap. I figured it must be better than tap water. Not sure of the pH.

Back