Long carbing from secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ply318ci

Reaction score
Was just curious if anybody noticed if it takes longer to carb if you rack to a secondary for a few weeks then bottle as opposed to bottling straight from the primary. On all my brews I just use a long primary but about a month ago I had to make room so I transferred a 8.4% IIPA from the primary to a smaller secondary to free up the larger primary. And a month later most of the bottles I opened where either flat or only lightly carbed up. I bottled just like normal using the right amount of sugar and it stays around 70 degrees a little cool I know i still have a few left to age some more. It is just that even with my 9.4% barleywine I had carbonation after only 2 weeks and I didn't use a secondary for that one. Just curious if anyone has similar occurrences thanks.

I ask this because I want to do a Oaked whisky RIS and I am not sure if I can add the oak and whiskey to the primary and get good flavor. I am afraid the yeast slurry at the bottom will mess up the oak whiskey flavor. Thanks.

I think that in general, the more yeast that you leave behind the slower the bottle carbing will be. So if you leave it for a while before you bottle, most of the yeast has flocced out and isn't around to eat that priming sugar. So it'll take a while.

start grabbing some yeast with the siphon when you transfer to secondary i know it defeats the purpose but if your beer is clearing that well your gonna have a problem with carbing in the bottle. it WILL happen in time but were talking atleast a month for a noticeable mouthfeel to it. just my .02

me personally, i dont use secondarys but ill rack into a bottling bucket and let it sit for a little before i siphon out and bottle

Normally I don't secondary but I needed my bigger primary for a second beer. I need to get more fermenters.

Back