Lone Star (Pilsner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattstanke

Reaction score
Lone Star (Pilsner)

Need help I never did a lager and I am confused as how to ferment it. My directions say to use a Wyeast 2035 American Lager yeast ferment at 47-52F. But my beer supply store only had white Lab WLP810 San Francisco Lager Yeast a unique lager strain which has the ability to ferment up to 65 degrees while retaining lager characteristics. Can also be fermented down to 50 degrees for production of marzens, pilsners and other style lagers.

The directions say to keep your primary fermenter at 60-62F until fermentation begins (approximately 1 day). Move the primary fermenter to 47-52F for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter (5gal glass carboy) and ferment at 47-52F. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleared (approximately 5 weeks)

I am not starting the yeast just going to pitch it into the wort. I was planning on pitching at about 65F and letting it stay at 65F for 24hr and then dropping to 60F after another 24hr and dropping it to 55F after another 24hr. then let it stay at 55F for 7-10 days and siphon to secondary. Then leave it in secondary for 4-5 weeks at 50-55F I am most likely wrong so any suggestion how to do this.

SO when are you planning on lagering you lager? Lagering is done in the low 30s 1 week for each og point. If you want your lager to come out like it should you need to make a starter there is no way around this unless. I know this sounds rough but if you do not have the ability to lager correctly then why even bother stick with ales.

i can get in the 30's but will i need to make a starter. will it still work if i just pitch the yeast

If you start it off in the 60s and the og is 1.05 or under you can get away with no starter. Just wont have as clean and crisp of a flavor. It is very highly recommended to pitch yeast at the temp you are going to ferment at or even a few degrees lower that is why you need a large starter.

Back