Londoners, please read

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knewshound

Reaction score
My family and I will be traveling to London in June and I would love to talk about some things.

I have not been to the UK in 25 years and would love some suggestions about areas to stay, sightseeing and most of all, good pubs and beer.

I am so looking forward to drinking some honest ale !

Cheers,

knewshound

I am thinking London only at this point.

There may be a day trip here or there but I tend to stay put once I arrive.

I have been to London 5 times but it was many years ago. This is my wife and kids first trip to the UK and we intend to enjoy it fully.

Cheers,

knewshound

olllllo said:
Have fun and give us a book report when you get back.:)

Definitely. :rockin:

:off: Sorry to thread-jack for a second knews, but this is something that I thought of when EdWort was checking in from Germany. I know something not everyone would want to do while on vacation is to fire up the 'puter, but some kind of trip summary that includes your beverage excursions (with pics if possible) after the fact would be entertaining and educational as all hell...

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Ize

Oh trust me, I was planning on checking in while I was away just to rub your noses in it !:mug:

Cheers,

knewshound

knewshound said:
I am thinking London only at this point. There may be a day trip here or there but I tend to stay put once I arrive. I have been to London 5 times but it was many years ago. This is my wife and kids first trip to the UK and we intend to enjoy it fully. Cheers, knewshound
Are you into history? I'd recommend Stonehenge, the Field of Runnemede where the Magna Carta was signed in the 13th C, Windsor Castle for sure (Elton John lives next door), London: Tower Bridge, Tower of London, Globe Theater, you can do the Jack the Ripper walking tour at night...Imperial War Museum was interesting...be sure to check out the blue circles placards mounted on the buildings. They are historical markers. We were walking to the IWM and came upon CPT Bligh's house (CPT of the HMS Bounty), St Peter's or is it Paul's :confused: Church (I've been to St. Peter's Basilica at the Vatican also:D )...Buckingham Palace...House of Parliament (if you go away from the Thames behind the building there's a large statue of Richard the Lionheart)..remember...Big Ben is not the clock but the bell in the tower...Westminster Abbey is right behind it also...if you stand near the side door of the abbey with the Parl bldg on your right walk up the road in front of you toward Tralfagar Sq and you'll pass a lot of pubs on the right side of the road...I hit all of them...one beer in each place...ah, but I ramble...:drunk:

My favourite pub in London is the Ten Bells

Its not a very nice pub its just a small untidy room and is full of young trendy types

We go there because of the (jack the ripper) connection whenever we are in London not that I’m a bit sick or anything but its worth a visit if you like that sort of thing

If you ever get to visit Nottingham visit the "ye old Jerusalem" its a pub in a cave under the castle and I think I remember reading that its the oldest pub in the country
:mug:

My list (not a Londoner but been there many times):

Jubilee Market area.

Tower Bridge.

Tower.

Oxford Street.

China Town/Soho - stop by Lee Ho Fook's and get a big dish of beef chow mein.

You can drive by Abbey Road and see all you need to see.

Get a subway (Tube) pass and go anywhere you think of. They have a great system, they barely know how great it is. Mind the gap!

Have fun - it is one of the two or three greatest cities in the world - you can hardly go wrong.

Yeah, Lee Ho Fooks, been there also.

Picadilly Circus/Soho was not as great ('03) as I remembered it in the '70s.

Up the road about a mile, away from PC and the Tower Record store, is the original Hard Rock Cafe. I like the sign in their window...no nuclear bombs allowed inside...HA!!:D

homebrewer_99 said:
Up the road about a mile, away from PC and the Tower Record store, is the original Hard Rock Cafe. I like the sign in their window...no nuclear bombs allowed inside...HA!!:D

Bill, don't be taking work to lunch... Tsk Tsk. :D

Ize

Back