London Fog Pure Pitch rate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhm8484

Reaction score
Getting ready to brew a NEIPA and going to use London Fog yeast from White Labs was wonder if 1 or 2 packs? OG 1.062 according to my recipe.

General rule is to make a starter or pitch 2 vials if over 1.050. Lots of folks have ignored this and done fine. Still others would never pitch a vial with no starter at any OG.

Bottom line? It's up to you. You might expect a longer lag time with only one vial.

Getting ready to brew a NEIPA and going to use London Fog yeast from White Labs was wonder if 1 or 2 packs? OG 1.062 according to my recipe.
From what I’ve read about it is its a low floccing high ester producing yeast. Most likely would benefit from slightly under pitching for ester production. Id use a pitch rate calculator and target a .5 million cell/ milliliter/* Plato.

Assuming youre brewing 5 gallons, two packs should do fine for 1.062, just chill down to 62F or so (make sure that you measure not just the top of the boil kettle as it could be warmer beneath the surface) and oxygenate. Want to minimize yeast stress especially if not making a starter.
I routinely would pitch directly my 1.040 beers (2.5 gallon batch) with just one packet and get great results...above 1.040 it was case dependent (fermentability, style, and yeast type)

Yea this for 5.5 gallons so maybe I'll get 2 just to be on safe side or 1 lol not sure yet haha

No never made them yet, always used dry yeast but wanting something different, I went with this
20200221_145733.jpeg

A 5.5 gallon batch of 1.062 beer needs around 237 billion yeast cells. White Labs are 100 billion each when fresh. A "best by" of May means the yeast was probably from December, which puts one pack at around only 44 billion cells, two packs at 88. So whether you used one or two, it was not enough. Sure consider making starters, proper pitch count will produce better beer.

Check out this thread to get an accurate cell count in a White Labs pack. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/...-an-accurate-cell-count-of-your-yeast.593881/

Yea beer just finished up kegged it lastnight, healthy fermentation. Did not it my target starting gravity only got 1.055, finished was only about 1.020ish, still made beer but thanks for the info.

Yea beer just finished up kegged it lastnight, healthy fermentation. Did not it my target starting gravity only got 1.055, finished was only about 1.020ish, still made beer but thanks for the info.
So you ended up with an abv of around 4.6%. What was the target abv according to the recipe?

Back