Loc-Line for Whirlpool Arm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroomVikin

Reaction score
So I'm planning on adding a whirlpool arm to my BK to aid in cooling with an immersion chiller. I've never used Loc-Line before but I love the idea of it. My question though is with its temperature rating. I see that their website says that the upper end of its limits are about 170 degrees. However, I thought I read somewhere that really only applies to its limits under pressure. Can anyone confirm this? Would the flow of a typical pump be enough pressure to count? Any experience using it for a whirlpool arm?

The limit is based on its ability to hold position with a certain amount of weight on it. I've tested it by boiling for two hours and seeing if it was easier to flex. It wasn't. I suspect it's an extremely conservative limit.

Fantastic! Using a keggle and not just a straight sided pot, I love the idea of being able to go up and over the "collar" without the hassle and cost of installing another bulkhead. Thanks guys.

On my setup I have an elbow with a barbed fitting on the end on the top of the kettle. I have the elbow loosely fit so I can kind of swivel it. When filling the bk I point it down, up until it reaches that level, then I swivel to the side. When whirl pooling I just attach a small length of scrap silicone tubing on the end, works awesome. Not sure if my description translates well, but the point is you can do the same thing you are wanting to do for cheaper and with stainless and silicone, no worry of plastic ghost monsters.

On my setup I have an elbow with a barbed fitting on the end on the top of the kettle. I have the elbow loosely fit so I can kind of swivel it. When filling the bk I point it down, up until it reaches that level, then I swivel to the side. When whirl pooling I just attach a small length of scrap silicone tubing on the end, works awesome. Not sure if my description translates well, but the point is you can do the same thing you are wanting to do for cheaper and with stainless and silicone, no worry of plastic ghost monsters.

I think I follow. If it's set up the way I'm thinking though I don't see how you would get the tubing to flow sideways for a whirlpool rather than straight down. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you?

Locline bends and stays any which way you put it.

but it is made of plastic ... and Unless im wrong, From what I've found the type of plastic its made of is only rated to be foodsafe at 170 degrees or less because its known to leech into the liquids at higher temps (just like an igloo cooler) I'm not trying to be a downer here and those using it for boiling wort likely will see no issues but its still worth mentioning right? a lot of the older plastic coffee mugs were made of the same stuff and you dont see them being made anymore because of the leeching issues (and you could sometimes taste this). (At least thats what I had read when I was researching the igloo coolers and abs plastic pumps.)

If loc line is so sure its safe then why does it counter dict what they have put in writing?

I use locline myself BTW but for my sparge arm..

EDIT so after doing some research locline is actually made of acetal copolymer ... and there are food grade black and white versions of this stuff but my locline is orange and black which explains why its only sold as aquarium safe and not foodsafe... the dye they use is likely fine and this likely has to do more with standards and certifications but still there is risk here right?

Locline bends and stays any which way you put it.

Yeah I got that but if you're going to leave the Loc-Line short enough so it's above the water line you'd have to have a piece of tubing long enough to drop below the water line. Since high temp tubing isn't very stiff I'd think that anything longer than a couple of inches is gonna tend to droop and discharge more or less downward and not sideways. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of a "whirlpool arm"?

Back