LME with sorbate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copachono

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
hi all, i got some LME from a supplier, to try it out, its a LME for bakery but when i saw the datasheet it has some potassium sorbate, so im wondering if anyone has tried something like this for breweing, i believe that with the water plus the heat the sorbate wouldnt be a problem for the yeast, but im not so sure

hi all, i got some LME from a supplier, to try it out, its a LME for bakery but when i saw the datasheet it has some potassium sorbate, so im wondering if anyone has tried something like this for breweing, i believe that with the water plus the heat the sorbate wouldnt be a problem for the yeast, but im not so sure

sorbate isn't deactivated by heat as far as I know, but the dilution by adding water may help? I have no real idea, but sorbate inhibits reproduction of yeast, so that is a worry to be if I was going to use it in brewing.

Back