lme to dme conversion help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vgonman

Reaction score
Hello,
Making a recipe that calls for 6.6 lbs wheat lme. Well, i have dme, and want to use it in the recipe, and confused with what the brew shop is telling me. i know that basically dme is lme "dried out". With that in mind, i need to be able to figure out how much dme to use, and how much more water i need to add to my brewpot. A batch of Apricot Wheat is waitin for this information!

I'm pretty sure you just multiply your LME by .8 to figure out how much DME it equals. In your case, 6.6 lbs DME would equal 5.28 lbs DME.

For water change, I don't think it is too important to compensate for the "lost water" caused by using DME instead of LME. It won't be much water, and if your adding water to your wort post boil (assuming youre not doing a full boil), then I don't see how a little water shortage matters (it would probably be a difference of a quart of water, if that).

If you want to make it interesting, just use 6 pounds DME. It will add ABV to the recipe but shouldnt effect the taste. It will add more fermentables and make stronger beer. I brewed 15 gallons of raspberry wheat this summer and it came out to be about 7% ABV and it was delicious and everyone liked it especially the ladies...ahem.. We added extra DME in order to make it stronger than what the recipe called for and it still tasted great..

Back