LME substitue for DME in ESB Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longtrain

Reaction score
I have a good recipe for an ESB using DME, my supplier is currently limited on his supply of DME. I am wondering if I can substitute LME in place of the DME? Is there a conversion ratio substituting one for the other? Thanks.

There is some variation between brands. You could find the PPG for the DME and the LME in question and use that for the conversion.

I have a good recipe for an ESB using DME, my supplier is currently limited on his supply of DME. I am wondering if I can substitute LME in place of the DME? Is there a conversion ratio substituting one for the other? Thanks.
1 lb of dme in one gallon will give an O G of 1.044 while 1 lb of lme will give an O G of 1.037 so you'd need about 20% more lme than dme.

I buy LME from Williams Brewing - theirs is 34 PPG (1.034 OG at one pound per gallon). With that, you would need 29% more LME.

Latest posts

Back