Lme & Dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
Not what you think... I use LME almost exclusively when I brew but I've been wanting to experiment a little with DME. Most of the recipes I've formulated use Pale LME. What should I go to for DME? I've not seen a pale DME as of yet, only light & amber.

I second the use of extra light DME, unless you're doing a stout or porter. remember to adjust your recipes acordingly, subtract 20% when converting to DME from LME.

Cheers

I strongly recommend you do a stout or a porter....
Everyone here is right, if you boil light dme long enough it becomes dark. So theoretically, you can control the "darkness" of it.
I recommend that you go whole hog and do a stout recipe that calls for 6 lbs or so of dark DME in 5 gallons with some galena hops(or any of your choosing). It is possible to make an excellent beer that simply. Dark DME is my favorite ingredient but I love dark beer! Try to let it condition for a month or so if you do. Also I have to recommend White labs "Irish ale" yeast. You almost can't go wrong(unless you are trying to clone guinness or something silly like that) I recommend no sugar except to prime. Experimenting will give you valuable brewing experience! Good Luck.

I also recommend extra light DME. I use it for starters and priming now, but I made almost all of my extract brews with it, using specialty grains for color and flavor. It is probably the most versatile extract because of that.

Yooper Chick said:
I also recommend extra light DME. I use it for starters and priming now, but I made almost all of my extract brews with it, using specialty grains for color and flavor. It is probably the most versatile extract because of that.
i'd agree, cept for wheat beers need wheat DME, of course ;)

Back