Living nightmare on cursed brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpinetti

Reaction score
The day didn't start off right to begin with but some voodoo magic cursed my brew day. It pretty much unfolded in this order Stuck sparge. Boil over. Missed hop addition. Clogged plate chiller. Burnt out march pump. Exploding carboy. Burnt my arm. Lost all my wort down the floor drain. Pictures of the aftermath.....cold water hose hit hot Carboy while attempting to unclog my system. Ugh. Writing this one off as a loss

image-297236781.jpg

image-2986504647.jpg

image-1362928079.jpg

image-3988141641.jpg

Man, I'm sorry. Major bummer. So it goes. Good news is you get to plan another brew day.

Was there some sort of distraction ? Brewing for me is only when I can pay total attention to my brew. Sorry to hear about you day.

The saying goes, If you've never failed, then you've never tried anything.
Sorry to hear bout the troubles man. Time to think about the next brew day.

Lol. Forgot to mention I ran out of propane too. I shouldn't have even tried brewing. Had been drinking all day. Watching football. All my buddies were over. Way to many distractions.

I always worry about a broken carboy! I just pray that if and when it does its cleaning/sanitizing solution!

On one positive note, depending on the age of your pump, they do have a new vers out now!

Just relax and have a home brew and everything will be alright!

I mean seriously. I'm still shaking my head today about this nightmare. Incredible bad luck for all this to happen all in one session. Unbelievable. But true. Northern brewer here I come. I figured somebody would have commented on my yeast starter on top of the rabbit cage. Lol

I would chalk it up as a sacrifice to the brew gods! You have now appeased them and will suffer no longer until the next sacrifice is required. I ran out of propane on my last brewday as well, I hadn't planned for the extra usage of doing two beers back to back verses just one.

richbrew99 said:
I was wondering this too, I always cool and then transfer wort to carboy.

All I had at the time. Had planned on having the wort cooled going in but my plate chiller clogged with hops or grain. I had to go straight from kettle to Carboy. All my buckets were in use. My sparge was stuck so bad I had to reach in and cut the braided hose i have as a filter in my mash tun. Grain bed filtered pretty good but obviously something happened cause the chiller clogged. While I sprayed into the chiller to unclog i dropped the hose which landed on the handle. It started spraying everywhere and ended with a direct stream of cold water directly on the Carboy which exploded immediately. I can't help but laugh this off to insanity now. Literally every brew step had major issues.

Jamming said:
Was there some sort of distraction ? Brewing for me is only when I can pay total attention to my brew. Sorry to hear about you day.

Distractions. Yes. Football on in the garage drinking with my buddies while brewing. Then a guy showed up to buy stuff from a Craigslist ad I posted. From now on I will know my attention span.

I figured somebody would have commented on my yeast starter on top of the rabbit cage. Lol

Is that one of those rabbit powered stir plates I've heard about? I've been wondering how those work?
Good show - I think you took first prize in the sh*t going horribly wrong category :mug:

OP... I'm very sorry about your horrible brew day, but the descriptions and images DO make for excellent entertainment.

Good show - I think you took first prize in the sh*t going horribly wrong category :mug:

And that's so funny I need to pass it on. Saved to the sig.

I vote you rebrew the same recipe and name it the return of the living nightmare

Sorry for your loss this HBs for you

I figured somebody would have commented on my yeast starter on top of the rabbit cage. Lol
I was about to say you forgot to add that you are going to have to toss a starter out too, but by the time I read this after first loading it, a few hours had passed. The reload showed you beat me to it.

At least you didn't mistake rabbit "pellets" for hop pellets.

Better luck next time! With everything that went wrong this brew, you should have a little luck on your side next time. It can't possibly go this horribly again. :D

I mean seriously. I'm still shaking my head today about this nightmare. Incredible bad luck for all this to happen all in one session. Unbelievable. But true. Northern brewer here I come. I figured somebody would have commented on my yeast starter on top of the rabbit cage. Lol

I actually thought that it was a cat litter box...

If I'm ever bummed when something goes wrong with my brew day I'll come back to this thread and feel better about it.

Sorry for your loss.

Back