List of PJ Electrical Diagrams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never actually had one of these dual SSR's so can't be sure of what size the pins are, but would be very surprised if they were anything other than 0.025" square pins, as these are pretty standard. If they are 0.025" sq pins, you can connect to them with "DuPont" connector jumpers. Just cut the connector from one end, solder to the SSR signal wire coming from your temp controller, and protect the solder junction with some shrink tubing.

Brew on :mug:

I use dual SSRs (crydom) in my system. Those connectors are 0.1" pitch .025" pins, as you described.

Last edited by a moderator:
so... what is the best way to attach the smaller diameter wires to the large wires for things like the fuses and the indicator light?
thanks!

attachment.php

this is a long thread to wade through... is this diagram the simplest one for a PID controlled BIAB system? also, does one exist with pump control for recirculating? i think it would be relatively straightforward to split off the feed for line 1(before the switch) and ground to complete this circuit separately with a switched outlet, but wanted to doublecheck...

this is a long thread to wade through... is this diagram the simplest one for a PID controlled BIAB system? also, does one exist with pump control for recirculating? i think it would be relatively straightforward to split off the feed for line 1(before the switch) and ground to complete this circuit separately with a switched outlet, but wanted to doublecheck...

You could leave out the Element Firing LED indicator lamp, but then you could miss out on an SSR failure (they tend to fail in the on state.) You could also leave out the fuses if you use 10AWG wire to deliver power to the PID. By the way, this is one of my designs.

Here's the one pump version of the drawing, which also uses a newer, better controller.

DSPR120 1-Pump Simple.jpg

Note that adding a 120V pump requires a four wire power feed vs. the three wire feed used by the 240V only (no pump) design.

Seems like you would want to switch between two temp sensors on the controller for the HLT element. One in the HLT for heating strike/sparge water, and the other in the MLT to control mash temp.

Exactly! Most setups I have seen take the mash temp from the HLT tank and adjust. I want to eliminate the extra PID (Mash) and use the DPSR-120 control for the Mash taking temp from the mash but controlling the HLT element. Then use a switch to apply control voltage from the DPSR-120 to the Boil Kettle. With that set up I would need to move the temp probe from the mash tun to the boil kettle.

Just bouncing the idea off anyone listening.

You could leave out the Element Firing LED indicator lamp, but then you could miss out on an SSR failure (they tend to fail in the on state.) You could also leave out the fuses if you use 10AWG wire to deliver power to the PID. By the way, this is one of my designs.

Here's the one pump version of the drawing, which also uses a newer, better controller.

View attachment 385246

Note that adding a 120V pump requires a four wire power feed vs. the three wire feed used by the 240V only (no pump) design.

thanks! unfortunately, i pulled my dryer forward.... and realized i have a 3 prong outlet. laundry room is right next to the electrical panel, so easiest fix might be to just replace the wiring and outlet in the house... but another thing i wasn't planning on doing...

thanks! unfortunately, i pulled my dryer forward.... and realized i have a 3 prong outlet. laundry room is right next to the electrical panel, so easiest fix might be to just replace the wiring and outlet in the house... but another thing i wasn't planning on doing...

Rewiring the house is the best solution. However, it is possible to convert a three wire feed (H-H-N) to a four wire feed by going thru a spa panel. This method does not meet code, so cannot be part of the structure wiring (i.e. you must be able to unplug it.) The spa panel also provides the needed GFCI protection. This is discussed in more detail previously in this thread, starting at post #852 (page 85 if you are at the default 10 posts/page.)

I have been wanting to build my own panel. I like the auber diy panel and their din setup for contactors and circuit breakers. However, I don't care for all the timers and alarms.

I'm looking for 30a biab with ezboil, 1 pump, element light and on/off. Key on/off and reset. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for something similar using the contactors and circuit breakers on a din?

I have been wanting to build my own panel. I like the auber diy panel and their din setup for contactors and circuit breakers. However, I don't care for all the timers and alarms.

I'm looking for 30a biab with ezboil, 1 pump, element light and on/off. Key on/off and reset. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for something similar using the contactors and circuit breakers on a din?

This has two pumps, but you can just leave out the switch and outlet for one of them. If you don't want the external alarm, you can use the DSPR120 instead of the DSPR300 (both are EZBoil controllers.) Substitute DIN contactors for the non-din contactors specified on the drawing. You can also substitute DIN breakers for the fuses if you wish. It also implements an interlock scheme that prevents the power from being turned on if a pump or element power switch is on.

Note that rather than SW1 switches that are 2NO, you really need to use SW11 which are 1NO/1NC if you want to implement the interlock.

DSPR300 2-Pump 240V dual contactors safe-start rev-2.jpg

This has two pumps, but you can just leave out the switch and outlet for one of them. If you don't want the external alarm, you can use the DSPR120 instead of the DSPR300 (both are EZBoil controllers.) Substitute DIN contactors for the non-din contactors specified on the drawing. You can also substitute DIN breakers for the fuses if you wish. It also implements an interlock scheme that prevents the power from being turned on if a pump or element power switch is on.

Note that rather than SW1 switches that are 2NO, you really need to use SW11 which are 1NO/1NC if you want to implement the interlock.

View attachment 385327

Like this diagram for the DSPR120. Does anyone know if it is possible to add an additional DSPR120 that way you have 2 running simultaneously, running separate operations to start the boil/do a boil while starting another mash to do a back to back boil. I am guessing that you would need another SSR and defiantly would need another element outlet installed. The DSPR120 is so much easier to use and set up. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Hoping to build a new control panel in the next 2 months such as the described if possible. TIA

Like this diagram for the DSPR120. Does anyone know if it is possible to add an additional DSPR120 that way you have 2 running simultaneously, running separate operations to start the boil/do a boil while starting another mash to do a back to back boil. I am guessing that you would need another SSR and defiantly would need another element outlet installed. The DSPR120 is so much easier to use and set up. Any suggestions would be greatly helpful. Hoping to build a new control panel in the next 2 months such as the described if possible. TIA

Just happen to have completed one, it happens to use DSPR300's, but you can substitute DSPR120's and leave out the external buzzers/flashers.

DSPR300 2-Pump 240V  2 Vessel RIMS.jpg

Some notes about the design (in no particular order.)

• Design assumes a 30A feed, and simultanious operation of both heating elements, so total element power is limited to 6500W. If a BK/HLT element power greater than 4500W is desired, then the RIMS element power needs to be decreased. If more total element power is desired, then a higher current feed, and larger wire size, is required.
  • The pump outlets are on different hot lines so that when both pumps are on, the current draw is the same as a single pump.
  • DSPR300 EZBoil controllers with external alarms are shown in the design. If the external alarms are not wanted, then DSPR120 EZBoil units can be used instead. In this case the connections to terminals 1, 2. 13 & 14 are eliminated.
  • The main power contactor is interlocked with the pump and element power enable switches, such that the main power contactor cannot be energized if any of the pump or element enable switches are on. The power to the EZBoil controllers is not interlocked. The interlock is implemented using NC contact blocks in the pump and element power enable switches. There is a series loop (shown in blue) that goes thru the NC contacts and the NO contact in the main power switch. When power is initially off, there is no power available to the main power contactor coil, if any of the NC contacts is open. Once the main power contactor is engaged, power for the main contactor coil is supplied thru one of the contacts of the contactor itself, thus bypassing the NC contacts in the other switches, and latching the contactor on. Turning off the main power switch, breaks the power to the contactor coil, which disengages the contactor, and breaks the latch.
  • A third, NO, contact block is added to the RIMS pump switch, and this set of contacts is in series with the switch that controls the RIMS element power contactor. Thus power to the RIMS element cannot be enabled if the RIMS pump is not on. This contact block on the RIMS pump switch could be replaced by a flow switch in the RIMS tube if desired. A flow switch in the RIMS tube would protect against flow issues even if the pump is on.
  • The "Main Power On" lamp just lets you know if one of the interlocked switches in on when you try to turn on main power. It can be left out if desired.
  • The "Element Power On" lamps are more necessary than the "Main Power On" lamp. Since SSR's typically fail to the "ON" state, a lamp that is on when it shouldn't be indicates an SSR failure. Note that the lamps may come on if the corresponding element is not pugged into its receptacle. This is an artifact caused by normal SSR leakage current.
  • Different receptacles are used for the RIMS element and the BK/HLT element. This prevents plugging an element into the wrong receptacle. Unfortunately, it's not as simple to protect pumps from being plugged into the wrong receptacle (unless you are willing to replace one of the pump plugs with a different style.)
Let me know if you have any question about any design features.

View attachment 385327

Just happen to have completed one, it happens to use DSPR300's, but you can substitute DSPR120's and leave out the external buzzers/flashers.

View attachment 386393

Some notes about the design (in no particular order.)

• Design assumes a 30A feed, and simultanious operation of both heating elements, so total element power is limited to 6500W. If a BK/HLT element power greater than 4500W is desired, then the RIMS element power needs to be decreased. If more total element power is desired, then a higher current feed, and larger wire size, is required.
  • The pump outlets are on different hot lines so that when both pumps are on, the current draw is the same as a single pump.
  • DSPR300 EZBoil controllers with external alarms are shown in the design. If the external alarms are not wanted, then DSPR120 EZBoil units can be used instead. In this case the connections to terminals 1, 2. 13 & 14 are eliminated.
  • The main power contactor is interlocked with the pump and element power enable switches, such that the main power contactor cannot be energized if any of the pump or element enable switches are on. The power to the EZBoil controllers is not interlocked. The interlock is implemented using NC contact blocks in the pump and element power enable switches. There is a series loop (shown in blue) that goes thru the NC contacts and the NO contact in the main power switch. When power is initially off, there is no power available to the main power contactor coil, if any of the NC contacts is open. Once the main power contactor is engaged, power for the main contactor coil is supplied thru one of the contacts of the contactor itself, thus bypassing the NC contacts in the other switches, and latching the contactor on. Turning off the main power switch, breaks the power to the contactor coil, which disengages the contactor, and breaks the latch.
  • A third, NO, contact block is added to the RIMS pump switch, and this set of contacts is in series with the switch that controls the RIMS element power contactor. Thus power to the RIMS element cannot be enabled if the RIMS pump is not on. This contact block on the RIMS pump switch could be replaced by a flow switch in the RIMS tube if desired. A flow switch in the RIMS tube would protect against flow issues even if the pump is on.
  • The "Main Power On" lamp just lets you know if one of the interlocked switches in on when you try to turn on main power. It can be left out if desired.
  • The "Element Power On" lamps are more necessary than the "Main Power On" lamp. Since SSR's typically fail to the "ON" state, a lamp that is on when it shouldn't be indicates an SSR failure. Note that the lamps may come on if the corresponding element is not pugged into its receptacle. This is an artifact caused by normal SSR leakage current.
  • Different receptacles are used for the RIMS element and the BK/HLT element. This prevents plugging an element into the wrong receptacle. Unfortunately, it's not as simple to protect pumps from being plugged into the wrong receptacle (unless you are willing to replace one of the pump plugs with a different style.)
Let me know if you have any question about any design features.

It is. Mine will be a HERMS system, so I will just change the RIMS label to an element on when building Thank you very much. Will start to purchase pieces to do the build.

It is. Mine will be a HERMS system, so I will just change the RIMS label to an element on when building Thank you very much. Will start to purchase pieces to do the build.

The HERMS designs I have seen pretty much all use much greater than 2000W for the HLT element. In order to do this, you will need to use a 50A electrical service rather than 30A, and you will need to use 6AWG wire rather than 10AWG wire for the high current parts of the circuits. If you want to keep the electrical service to 30A, then you will be precluded from simultaneously heating both elements. In this case the element switching should be redesigned in order to prevent having both elements on at once.

When you say 50A, that is in reference to what type of breaker you are using in the panel. Please correct me if I am wrong I do not want to end up fried.
A 50A service requires a 50A breaker in the main panel, and 6AWG (or larger) wire from the main panel to the control panel. If you want to use finer than 6AWG wire in the panel, then you need to place fuses or breakers in the control panel to limit the current in the finer wires in case of shorts or other overloads. You also need 50A GFCI protection, either in the main panel or a spa panel between the main panel and the control panel.

If you don't understand the above, or anything else about how the panel needs to be built, you should find someone local with the needed expertise to help you and check your work.

A 50A service requires a 50A breaker in the main panel, and 6AWG (or larger) wire from the main panel to the control panel. If you want to use finer than 6AWG wire in the panel, then you need to place fuses or breakers in the control panel to limit the current in the finer wires in case of shorts or other overloads. You also need 50A GFCI protection, either in the main panel or a spa panel between the main panel and the control panel.

If you don't understand the above, or anything else about how the panel needs to be built, you should find someone local with the needed expertise to help you and check your work.

What you described above is exactly what I have put together, I just wanted to verify. What adjustments would I have to make to the schematic above to run both elements and both pumps simultaneously? I have already built a very simple panel to do extract brews. Looking to upgrade to all grain. When I originally wired the extra outlet for brewing I did the 50A for future up grades.

What you described above is exactly what I have put together, I just wanted to verify. What adjustments would I have to make to the schematic above to run both elements and both pumps simultaneously? I have already built a very simple panel to do extract brews. Looking to upgrade to all grain. When I originally wired the extra outlet for brewing I did the 50A for future up grades.

The design below has been modified for 50A service and (2X) 5500W elements. The main power contactor needs to change to have a 50A rating. The high current wiring prior to the 30A fuses/breakers needs to go from 10AWG to 6AWG. The 3PST pump switch changes to DPDT. The L6-15/L5-20 receptacle changes to an L6-30.

DSPR300 2 Pump 2 Element 50A.jpg

The design below has been modified for 50A service and (2X) 5500W elements. The main power contactor needs to change to have a 50A rating. The high current wiring prior to the 30A fuses/breakers needs to go from 10AWG to 6AWG. The 3PST pump switch changes to DPDT. The L6-15/L5-20 receptacle changes to an L6-30.

View attachment 386823

That looks great. Thank you @ doug293cz. You have definitely gone above what I was looking to accomplish. I am looking forward to building this.

View attachment 386823

That looks great. Thank you @ doug293cz. You have definitely gone above what I was looking to accomplish. I am looking forward to building this. Now the fun of purchasing all the parts and waiting for them to arrive and get started.

Haven't seen p-j on here for a while and I have a question to ask so maybe someone else might know: I need a DPST switch (240v-25a) for a scematic that pj drew out for me awhile back. He shows a toggle switch from grainger but was wondering if I could use this instead?.The toggle switch kinda looks jenky, kinda 70's
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPTB...t=&hvlocphy=9016866&hvtargid=pla-273780320131
Any other ideas are welcome!
wimpy

Haven't seen p-j on here for a while and I have a question to ask so maybe someone else might know: I need a DPST switch (240v-25a) for a scematic that pj drew out for me awhile back. He shows a toggle switch from grainger but was wondering if I could use this instead?.The toggle switch kinda looks jenky, kinda 70's
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MPPTB...t=&hvlocphy=9016866&hvtargid=pla-273780320131
Any other ideas are welcome!
wimpy

Yes, the 3032 model switches are fine when you need a DPST for 30A or less.

FWIW: I have a zip file from 2012 that has a number of PJ's drawings on it. I assume I got it from here as this is the only forum I go to. There are 163 files in the zip but there does seem to be about 4 copies of each drawing. If anyone is interested, and I'm not overstepping anything here, I would be happy to pass it on.

Dave

I would love a copy of your archive!

I thought I downloaded a bunch of them when this thread started, but Drat! I can not find them!

How do you plan to distribute?

FWIW: I have a zip file from 2012 that has a number of PJ's drawings on it. I assume I got it from here as this is the only forum I go to. Yes are 163 files in the zip but there does seem to be about 4 copies of each drawing. If anyone is interested, and I'm not overstepping anything here, I would be happy to pass it on.

Dave

Yes please.

Does anyone have a copy of the diagram for the following?

I need a 30 amp, two element, two PID, 2 pump.

Does anyone have a copy of the diagram for the following?

I need a 30 amp, two element, two PID, 2 pump.

I have a complete pdf archive of PJ's website from a couple years ago at home. Only problem is it is an 80+ MB file so won't email too well. I can look later this evening and see if I can find what you are looking for.

I have a complete pdf archive of PJ's website from a couple years ago at home. Only problem is it is an 80+ MB file so won't email too well. I can look later this evening and see if I can find what you are looking for.

If there's any way you can get the file to me I'll be glad to host all of the diagrams on my website. That might help others looking in the future. Over two years ago I built my EBIAB from one of his diagrams and am really happy with it and would be glad to pay it forward.

View attachment 385327

doug293cz, I was wondering if you already had a diagram setup like this, but for 20A, 120V? My outlet is 15A, but I would like to setup the controller box to support 20A.

I really like the layout of your diagrams, and I am looking to do a RIMS setup soon.

I already have the TopsFlo TD5 pump, which is rated at 24V, 1.4A, and 35W. I would most likely get either a 1500W, 120V, 12.5A element, or get the 5500W 240, but run it at 120V for 1400W at 11.7A.

I planned on a similar design as the one I quoted, just not 30A or 2 pumps. If you have one that already has 2 pumps, I have no issue using that as it is easy enough to figure out what to leave out.

I just want to make sure I have everything straight for what to purchase, and what should be setup with a fuse. I am pretty sure I know, and I would really appreciate your help \ feedback.

I searched and could not find anything that you posted that was similar except for the 30A layout.

Thanks for any help you can provide, and for the help that you provide this community!!!

I am very interested in both of the collections being mentioned recently and would like to help make sure they are never lost or hard to find in the future.

Maybe @zazbnf and @pdavidc could upload their collections to a filehost like this to start with:

http://www.zippyshare.com/

That would be easier to share with the current group of people who are interested (including myself) and give a chance for some of us to get them to a more permanent storage space (most of the free file hosts delete after 30 days of no downloads)

Just a thought.

I have website space I can host as well. Having more than one place to host would reduce the chances of losing all of them.

If there's any way you can get the file to me I'll be glad to host all of the diagrams on my website. That might help others looking in the future. Over two years ago I built my EBIAB from one of his diagrams and am really happy with it and would be glad to pay it forward.

I sent you a pm with a link for the file.

FWIW: I have a zip file from 2012 that has a number of PJ's drawings on it. I assume I got it from here as this is the only forum I go to. There are 163 files in the zip but there does seem to be about 4 copies of each drawing. If anyone is interested, and I'm not overstepping anything here, I would be happy to pass it on.

Dave

Dave,
I'd be interested in seeing those diagrams. I'm working on a hybrid gas/rims tube system. I PMd you my email if you don't mind sending me the zip file

Vic

http://www.filedropper.com/pjmuthimages

A lot of extra stuff in there but a lot of diagrams as well. Way back when PJ first mentioned this might go down I just set Acrobat to download the entire site.

glad you grabbed it. Wanted to go back over some of his diagrams and was sad to see he hasn't been active in several years and the links are down. Thanks!

And PJ, thank you for taking all the time. God Bless and Rest in Peace :mug:

Back