Liquid Yeast Separation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutMan

Reaction score
I've got a vile of White Labs Cali Ale yeast that's been in the fridge since back in November. While the date says it's good till Feb. 21, I'm not so sure. All of the yeast have settled to the bottom in one big clump and the brownish liquid is completely separated. When I shake it up, it appears to mix together, but Im not sure I should use it. Should I toss it, or make a big starter for next weeks brew and see if it works??? Secondly, how long can you keep a starter?

the yeast is fine mine looks like that all the time just shake it up and your ready to go,and its always agood idea to make a starter,

Kinda what I thought, but wanted to make sure. I usually don't keep yeast around long enough for it to seperate and hadn't seen it do so before. Thanks yet again.....:cross:

After shaking it up, treat it like a soda bottle and open it slowly. You will be wearing it if you don't.

John

I usually dip the vial in sanitizer before I open it, just in case it does volcano over the outside of the tube.

I have used WL yeast that is 6 months expired. It took like 3 days in a starter to start working and about 6 days to be done. I am guessing there wasn't much good yeast left but it is enough to pitch now.

Back