Liquid yeast arrived my mail active, is it okay to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tipping

Reaction score
Hello all , I ordered imperial yeast a07 and it arrived by mail. I was under the impression it would arrive with dry ice I guess. It didn’t and has been active during transport. The bag is inflated and ballooned. I placed it in the refrigerator. I don’t plan to brew for a week or more. I hate to waste it. Will it still be okay to use?

Attachments

• 8E2CDC8F-424F-4D47-A507-278C6D3F2971.png
    8E2CDC8F-424F-4D47-A507-278C6D3F2971.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
Do you have a back up yeast ( dry yeast available)? Do you plan on making a starter?
If you plan on doing a starter, I would think that if you did it a daor so earlier than plan, you should know if it is viable or not.
If not, but you got some dry yeast around, I would pitch and see what happens.

Unfortunately I do more dry yeast, so my knowledge is limited

Do you have a back up yeast ( dry yeast available)? Do you plan on making a starter?
If you plan on doing a starter, I would think that if you did it a daor so earlier than plan, you should know if it is viable or not.
If not, but you got some dry yeast around, I would pitch and see what happens.

Unfortunately I do more dry yeast, so my knowledge is limited
No backup, no intentions to make a starter. I just wanted to use for a kit I plan on brewing when I get back from vacation. It’s currently in the refrigerator.

No backup, no intentions to make a starter. I just wanted to use for a kit I plan on brewing when I get back from vacation. It’s currently in the refrigerator.
I have had 1 liquid packages that inflated on me, but I was using it with a day or so. You may want to get a back up just in case it does not take off. Pitch it, wait a day or two and if no activity, take a gravity sample. If no change I would pitch back up, if there is a change. Leave it and see what happens.

I was under the impression it would arrive with dry ice I guess.

Dry ice would have frozen the yeast slurry solid, unless some special packaging was also used. But with most vendors, you can order ice packs (not dry ice). I don't think I've seen a vendor who didn't offer that. But ice packs are only effective for so long, depending on ambient temps.

No backup, no intentions to make a starter.

I'd recommend making a starter, both as proof that there is some live yeast and to increase the cell count if it was reduced significantly by the heat.

A07 and all other variants of that strain will inflate the pouches even in the fridge. It doesn't mean much but if it was room temp or warmer upon arrival, the viability was definitely affected. A starter would be a good idea.

Back