liquid used in airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vodka, if it gets sucked in just ups the ABV a little for me, and it has a lower chance of having bacteria growing in it than tap water. Plus I also go for the one for me, one for you (air lock) method, keeps things interesting.

Brewers,

I don't understand why anything besides water would be needed. What am I missing?

Thanks.

NRS

Brewers,

I don't understand why anything besides water would be needed. What am I missing? Is there a contamination risk?

Thanks.

NRS

I don't understand why anything besides water would be needed. What am I missing?

You're not missing anything. It's a matter of personal preference. Water is just fine. Some folks use something with some sanitizing power to be extra safe.

Like I said, I often use star-san because whenever I am filling an airlock, it's because I just sanitized and filled a carboy with some beer, and there is a bucket of sanitizer sitting right there beside me.

But, I've got no problems just putting water in it, either.

Brewers,

I don't understand why anything besides water would be needed. What am I missing? Is there a contamination risk?

Thanks.

NRS

If your ambient temp dips and the air inside the carboy compresses you can get a suckback of the liquid into the carboy. If you have water in the airlock there is a chance for bacteria to be present, which would then end up in the carboy, potentially ruining your batch. I don't think it is a particularly likely outcome, but I use vodka just to be safe because very few if any bacteria can live in spirits that strong. Probably not a huge issue, but if I am careful everywhere I can be, there is less chance over a long period of time of having a spoiled batch.

Fresh urine because it's sterile and I like the taste.

Mugshot__rip-torn-mugshot.jpg

I use the vodka method because when I cold crash I have had a little of it get back into the beer. Like others have said, I don't wanna take any chances after you put so much time, labor and love into making it. It might be over the top, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I use tap water to top off my wort so I use the same tap water for the airlock. I have a 3 piece airlock so there isn't much that will fall into the water in the lock and once the fermentation starts, nothing gets in until there is alcohol in the bucket.

What's up with vodka? I figure since you're using Star San everywhere in the first place, you just use that. Is it just a novelty thing or does it actually provide a better barrier?

+1 to the cheap vodka, and I would never drink that crap. Could peel paint off the walls with it.

+1 to the cheap vodka, and I would never drink that crap. Could peel paint off the walls with it.

+2 on cheap vodka.

Anything I put in the airlock is something that I would drink. Well in all honesty I wouldn't be drinking the cheap vodka, but at least it is made for human consumption (or so they say..). If it gets sucked back into the carboy, would you want anything going into your beer that you wouldn't drink?

All the vodka will do is boost the ABV a touch.

Star San, because It's usually right there when I fill the air lock. Not to really worry about Star San in your brew. My last batch, I accidentally racked on top of about a half inch of Star San in my primary. (guessing maybe a cup or 2) Been bottled for about a week and a green taste test, show no ill effects. I don't expect any negative effects.

Plain old tap water usually, vodka if I'm cold crashing. Sometimes nothing at all if I've had a few too many brews during the process....though this is generally caught pretty quickly because I am like a little kid....I have to check on it within 15 minutes, just to make sure its ok.

I also use Tap water, why waste my sanstar or vodka?
Never had a problem.

It's starsan solution, which is 1oz to 5gal of water. What is the airlock - like 3oz?

If you make up 5gal (640oz) of starsan solution, the airlock 3oz is about 0.47% of that batch. Considering each 5gal batch of StarSan costs about about $0.62 ($20 divided by 32oz), that makes the amount of StarSan in the airlock cost less than a third of a cent (0.47% x $0.62 = $0.00293).

I don't call a third of a cent "wasting."

Cheap vodka maybe costs $7 for 750ml? That's about 25oz. So about $0.84 per 3oz airlock fill...if airlocks are really 3oz (just my estimate).

Cheap vodka maybe costs $7 for 750ml? That's about 25oz. So about $0.84 per 3oz airlock fill...if airlocks are really 3oz (just my estimate).
So, you made me curious. Checked and my "S" type airlock holds less than an ounce.

But really that not an apples to apples comparision, because when I take an airlock out of one batch I'll sanitize the bottom and use the same one (with liquid already in it) in the next batch.

Back