Liquid PBW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Less mess?? Unless I'm rushing to weigh out how much I'm going to use, there's little, if any, mess involved with using the powder. Not to mention it's easy to measure via a scale. Probably more long term stable in dry form as well. Well, if you don't live in a swamp/jungle at least.

I plan to get another 8# of PBW when I hit the LHBS next (probably Saturday).

BTW, there's no mention of 'liquid PBW' on the Five Star Chemicals web site (as of this time).

YMMV. I spill far less Star San than I do PBW. You literally measure it right out of the package.

I routinely spill the powder. Especially when filling smaller containers so I don't have to lug the giant 8lb container up and down my stairs.

*It's available in 5 gallon containers on their website. Sold at morebeer.com too.

I typically weigh the PBW into a shallow container when needing it. If it's going into the BK for post brew cleaning. I can use the same container (2-3 cup IIRC) when weighing for use with the Bucket Blaster. The wide form of the container makes it easy. If you're using a small container for the powder, simply changing for one that's larger will resolve any spill issues.

I also have a [currently] empty 4# jar/container. I plan to put what's left in 8# into that so that I can get the 8# filled at the LHBS (they sell it from a bulk barrel for less than if you get it with the container). I also have a couple of other jars that I used when I didn't have an actual container from a purchase.

IF I decide it makes sense to put some PBW in the brewery and some in the kitchen (for different items) having the additional (empty) containers makes that easy. I can leave the smaller amount in the kitchen and put the rest in the basement for brewery use.

Now i feel like a doofus for just scooping some in a 5 gallon bucket, add some hot tap water, stir, and clean Y'all who weigh it out... nice. Probably the proper smart thing to do.
When you weigh it out, you can better set the concentration levels to what you need. I usually get as close as possible (without being a PITA) for the amount of water added too. Using graduated buckets, kettles, or having marked a bucket for the common fill level (the bucket blaster 4 gallon bucket marked at 3 gallons). This also means you don't use too much PBW. I have three scales I use most often, depending on what I'm weighing out.

Hard Pass! 1-2 ounces per gallon of water. 8 ounce package at $17.75 for 4-8 gallons of cleaning solution.

Five Star PBW Liquid (8 oz)
Visit the Five Star Store

Price:$17.75$17.75 ($2.22$2.22 / Fl Oz)

Thank you for being a Prime member. Get a $150 Gift Card: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Card.

Size: 8 oz
  • 8 oz
    $17.75
    ($2.22 / Fl Oz)
  • 32 oz
    - -

Item FormLiquid
BrandFive Star
Unit Count8.00 Fl Oz
Item Weight8 Ounces
About this item
  • EASY TO USE: Mixes into solution even at lower water temperatures
  • POWERFUL FORMULA: Removes tough stains and soils with less scrubbing
  • WORKS FAST: Quickly mixes into solution
  • WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: Great for use with canning lines and keg cleaners
  • SIMPLE DOSING: 1-2 oz. per gallon of water

Considering getting the 8# container runs about $47 on Amazon (a little more at my LHBS) it comes out to just under $0.37/ounce. A far cry from $2.22/ounce of the liquid. With how tight a lot of people here are with money, I would think no one would be jumping to get the liquid mix. Sure, you need to let the powder mix fully with water, but you can either stir it by hand, or use a pump to recirculate to get that done quickly.

The ad I saw for this promoted the idea of not having dust. So I’d presume that the professional application of this product is to protect brewery workers from lung problems and reduce the need for respirators/dust masks.
I just measure it with a Tbs.🤷‍♀️

www.ritebrew.com is were I get mine. Shipping is not free but very minimal charge and I usually just tack it onto a grain order so it costs almost nothing extra. I do the refill as 2-4# containers would be more than an 8# on Amazon.

Attachments

• image_2021-11-12_092602.png
    image_2021-11-12_092602.png
    131.8 KB · Views: 19
The ad I saw for this promoted the idea of not having dust. So I’d presume that the professional application of this product is to protect brewery workers from lung problems and reduce the need for respirators/dust masks.
I just measure it with a Tbs.🤷‍♀️
I gotta' admit I've had that concern. I'm not athsmatic, have good cardio/pulmonary for a 72 year old, but I can occasionally feel some mild reaction when measuring out just about any of the powdered cleaners, even Oxy. But the ones I use most frequently (PBW & One Step) are the ones that seem to have the strongest reaction. It'd probably be wise to wear a mask I suppose.

As already implied, probably associated with an unfortunate trend surfacing in the occupational hazard environment. Not sure if it makes any business sense to add weight to transport at Five Star’s levels. The only potential benefit to the home brewer I can think of is when laziness to mix and dissolve PBW before cleaning in certain circumstances, like years ago when I destroyed a few expensive Better Bottles with PBW-induced ‘chemical fractures’ the day I bought them. I’m very happy with the powdered PBW. I generally handle most things that are potentially hazardous when airborne with some gentle respect regardless. Except pizza dough, pancakes, fireworks and small annoying children.

Uh-oh... now we have a PBW mask debate? Lol
probably be wise to wear a mask

only potential benefit to the home brewer I can think of is when laziness
Do not doubt the lazy brewer! (And yes i speak from experience!) Lol. Same reason 7-11 sells milk- for some time is money.
I bet some occasional brewers or small batch brewers might enjoy the benefits of liquid PBW. Or i should say just BW.
Not me. Gimmie the 8# tub and i will refill my 1# container.
Although i should have bought that 50# bucket from morebeer that was on sale for months....
I do use PBW for lots of household cleaning, too- the stuff IS magic after all!

Edit- it's still on sale! Lol. No free shipping BUT this weekend morebeer has their 15% off sale, so one could get it for $0.21 ounce at that amount.
https://www.morebeer.com/products/star-pbw-cleaner-50-lbs.html

If you're worried about the dust, just stay upwind of it. ;)
And on calm days just hold your breath and run away from it. Some folk might burn it then run away from the fumes they’ve created. It depends on the folk. I made some military grade pepper spray the other week. It wasn’t my intention to, in case anyone’s wondering. We ran out of chilli power when I was making a spicy curry. So, me being me and in ‘control’, I put some dried bird’s eye chillies in a coffee grinder and inadvertently created a chilli-active cloud from hell itself in the kitchen, which had to be cordoned off for several hours. I couldn’t open my eyes for a few hours. It was only when I could open my eyes that I managed to stop crying from the intense stinging burning out my eyes and mucous membranes generally. My teenage daughter now carries some in small a spray bottle, to keep Vikings in check. I reckon if she ever used it the authorities would probably class it as a ‘terrorist act’ and ban spray bottles. Home brewers will have to flick StarSan solution all day 😱

Now i feel like a doofus for just scooping some in a 5 gallon bucket, add some hot tap water, stir, and clean Y'all who weigh it out... nice. Probably the proper smart thing to do.
You're not alone... as meticulous as I am with my brewing, I always "eyeball" my PBW when cleaning.

And on calm days just hold your breath and run away from it. Some folk might burn it then run away from the fumes they’ve created. It depends on the folk. I made some military grade pepper spray the other week. It wasn’t my intention to, in case anyone’s wondering. We ran out of chilli power when I was making a spicy curry. So, me being me and in ‘control’, I put some dried bird’s eye chillies in a coffee grinder and inadvertently created a chilli-active cloud from hell itself in the kitchen, which had to be cordoned off for several hours. I couldn’t open my eyes for a few hours. It was only when I could open my eyes that I managed to stop crying from the intense stinging burning out my eyes and mucous membranes generally. My teenage daughter now carries some in small a spray bottle, to keep Vikings in check. I reckon if she ever used it the authorities would probably class it as a ‘terrorist act’ and ban spray bottles. Home brewers will have to flick StarSan solution all day 😱
Ha! Reminds me of the time years ago....I was stationed with the Navy in Maine. Middle of the winter, my buddy from Texas gets a huge can of jalapeños from his Dad back home. We decide to divide them into a dozen or so smaller jars. Five minutes into the job, my buddy says, "Now whatever you do, DON'T rub your eyes."

Of course, that was the last thing on my mind, and intuitively was the last thing that I would ever do after having my hands knuckle deep in that peppery liquid. So naturally I was immediately overcome by the visceral NEED to rub my eye. I put it off as long as I could, but the power of suggestion was too great to overcome.

I went to the kitchen sink and proceeded to wash my hands repeatedly with everything in the kitchen from gentle dishwashing liquid to Drano, hoping to remove any trace of the green stain. After about 10 minutes of wash, rinse, repeat, I carefully dried my hands and sniffed my now sterilized flesh to determine whether the toxic devil had been exorcized. Youth and false bravado prevailed. I gingerly used the back side of my fourth digit joint of the pinky finger to assuage the tormenting itch.

Obviously, the retribution of the peppers was immediate and unrelenting agony to my occular region. Fortunately the damage was not permanently disabling. But the transitional time was agonizingly slow.

Never again will I voluntarily submit to subdividing jalapeños without full biohazard protection.

Ha! Reminds me of the time years ago....I was stationed with the Navy in Maine. Middle of the winter, my buddy from Texas gets a huge can of jalapeños from his Dad back home. We decide to divide them into a dozen or so smaller jars. Five minutes into the job, my buddy says, "Now whatever you do, DON'T rub your eyes."

Of course, that was the last thing on my mind, and intuitively was the last thing that I would ever do after having my hands knuckle deep in that peppery liquid. So naturally I was immediately overcome by the visceral NEED to rub my eye. I put it off as long as I could, but the power of suggestion was too great to overcome.

I went to the kitchen sink and proceeded to wash my hands repeatedly with everything in the kitchen from gentle dishwashing liquid to Drano, hoping to remove any trace of the green stain. After about 10 minutes of wash, rinse, repeat, I carefully dried my hands and sniffed my now sterilized flesh to determine whether the toxic devil had been exorcized. Youth and false bravado prevailed. I gingerly used the back side of my fourth digit joint of the pinky finger to assuage the tormenting itch.

Obviously, the retribution of the peppers was immediate and unrelenting agony to my occular region. Fortunately the damage was not permanently disabling. But the transitional time was agonizingly slow.

Never again will I voluntarily submit to subdividing jalapeños without full biohazard protection.
I have a similar story about Habanero peppers, chili, and an itch i just had to scratch... and it wasn't my eyes.
lesson learned for sure.

As already implied, probably associated with an unfortunate trend surfacing in the occupational hazard environment. Not sure if it makes any business sense to add weight to transport at Five Star’s levels. The only potential benefit to the home brewer I can think of is when laziness to mix and dissolve PBW before cleaning in certain circumstances, like years ago when I destroyed a few expensive Better Bottles with PBW-induced ‘chemical fractures’ the day I bought them. I’m very happy with the powdered PBW. I generally handle most things that are potentially hazardous when airborne with some gentle respect regardless. Except pizza dough, pancakes, fireworks and small annoying children.
When I started brewing 10+ years ago B-Brite was and still is my cleaner of choice. I’ve always used Better Bottles and B-Brite does the job and is “easier” on the plastics.
i buy it in 40# buckets that last quite a long time and reduces my cost considerably. As far as measuring goes, I use a Tbsp per gallon of hot water.

I have a similar story about Habanero peppers, chili, and an itch i just had to scratch... and it wasn't my eyes.
lesson learned for sure.
That's why I wear gloves when cutting up hot peppers. Never needed to 'learn' that lesson, just used the old grey matter. ;) I typically have at least one box of nitrile gloves on hand for various uses. Between making chili, dealing with chemicals, and/or wanting a barrier between my hands and something (like when cleaning with hot water) it makes sense. I get them in 100 count boxes (easily found on Amazon now that the panic buying is pretty much done).

Back