Liquid in my Carb lid gas line and liquid leaking from regulator-gas line connector?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotch021

Reaction score
Hi guys, First off, want to say thank you to the countless posters from all the post I have read while lurking. I appreciate the sharing of knowledge/troubleshooting to improve!

I am not new to kegerators but i am new to kegging my own Cold Brew Coffee and serving it on 100% nitrogen.

-I have done one successful batch before and served with no issues through a normal Corny keg.
-Because of the time it took for the nitrogen to infuse and how much i had to shake i read that i could get this Carb Lid to force nitrogen in the coffee to quickly infuse nitrogen with it.
-I installed/followed the instructions to increase the pressure every 5 minutes to ~40PSI.
-After about a day it started leaking coffee at my regulator (was told it was because pressure in the keg was greater than the PSI on regulator) I pulled the release valve multiple times but still had this issue. Not sure how to fix in future?
-I then removed the Carb lid and it was filled with coffee(attached pic).
1. Is this normal when using a carb lid?
-I then let out all the pressure and used the normal lid and attached the nitrogen in the gas in post. It now doesn't get gas in and won't increase any PSI in the regulator. My first though was i still have coffee in the line and I need to replace the gas line?

thanks for any help team and I look forward to continue brewing coffee/beers and learning from the community!

Attachments

• IMG_9963.jpg
    IMG_9963.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
Welcome to HBT!

As soon as the pressure from your regulator is lower than what's in the keg, such as by turning the gas down or off, or through temp changes, coffee starts to get pushed back from the keg through your carbonation stone into your gas tubing and ultimately into your regulator, unless it has a check valve to stop that.

-I then let out all the pressure and used the normal lid and attached the nitrogen in the gas in post. It now doesn't get gas in and won't increase any PSI in the regulator. My first though was i still have coffee in the line and I need to replace the gas line?
Is there still coffee in your gas line? Did it go inside your regulator?

First blow out whatever is in your gas line. Just push in the poppet inside the (grey) gas QD with the back of a nail set or the back of a small screwdriver or so. It should start to spurt out whatever is in there. Point it inside a sink, a dump bucket or into a towel, and keep well away from your eyes and face.

If coffee backed up into your line, you should remove, clean and sanitize, then dry it.
If coffee got into your regulator it should be cleaned inside as well, or it will start to stick over time.

Is there still coffee in your gas line? Did it go inside your regulator?

Sorry for the delay, just saw this a couple days ago.

I did have coffee in my gas line but regulator seemed fine. I replaced all the lines and found out I had a leak in my co2 to nitrogen regulator adapter that connects to my nitrogen tanks. Replaced that and the line and I’m back in business.

So I’ve has the cold brew sitting for a month and just now putting nitrogen back into it via the carb lid. It didn’t have the cascading effect it normally did After 3/4 hours. Do I just need to scrap this batch and make another Or wait it out? If does taste pretty much the same.

Sorry for the delay, just saw this a couple days ago.

I did have coffee in my gas line but regulator seemed fine. I replaced all the lines and found out I had a leak in my co2 to nitrogen regulator adapter that connects to my nitrogen tanks. Replaced that and the line and I’m back in business.

So I’ve has the cold brew sitting for a month and just now putting nitrogen back into it via the carb lid. It didn’t have the cascading effect it normally did After 3/4 hours. Do I just need to scrap this batch and make another Or wait it out? If does taste pretty much the same.
Your coffee should be fine, no need to dump. Heck no!

Is it pure nitrogen or beer gas?

If beer gas, the CO2 part needs to dissolve into the coffee, carbonating it, just like it would in beer. That takes a few days to 2 weeks, depending on temp and pressure. It should improve with time.
If it's pure nitrogen, I'm not sure. Pressure is important, as well as the amount of restriction in the faucet, IIRC.

Hopefully someone else can step in on that.

Thanks for the reply. Nitro cold brew tasted fine so definitely going to keep it to save $6 a cup a day. It is pure nitrogen and I’m pushing it out at around 38 psi. I’ll check tomorrow on it and report back.

Back