Liquid in C02 tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Hey HBT,

I recently was carbonating a keg, I had it connected at 30PSI in my kegerator (tank outside), when I returned 30 hours later the tank was empty. This was near the end of the tank and I went through a few kegs. I disconnected the tank and connected my backup. I went to swap the tank today and I heard liquid sloshing around inside. I turned the valve open and upside down and a light brown water poured out. It kind of had a rice water smell to it, nothing like stale beer.

How did this happen? The beer inside the keg was below the c02 output line in the keg. Would this oxidize my beer? The beer that was being carbonated had an odd sweet malty bite. Was this a mess up on the filling side? Contaminated c02 filling with air mixed in? Half pint of this liquid came out of the tank. I assume none of this liquid made it into my regulator or lines (I see no evidence of this.). I also swear I didn't hear any liquid or sloshing when I swapped this tank with my backup. It sat for 4 days at room temp with the valve closed until I noticed it today.

I tried searching the forum and didn't find much on this subject. Any input would be great, thanks!

-pete

I took apart one part of my dual gauge regulator, none of the parts looked wet or stained. I am thinking someone before me messed this tank up or it was improperly filled.

Do you exchange the tank at your supplier, or do you have your own tank refilled? Also, is the tank steel or aluminuum?

That makes it a bit of a tougher call. Normally, if you swap it out, I would take it as is and just swap it out for a new one, problem solved. To fix it, you have to remove the valve assembly from the neck. It's possible to to it yourself, but getting it back together without leaking can be tricky. Watch a youtube video as to how people do it with dive tanks, and you will get an idea how involved it is.

Now, to your questions:

How did this happen? The beer inside the keg was below the c02 output line in the keg. Would this oxidize my beer? The beer that was being carbonated had an odd sweet malty bite. Was this a mess up on the filling side? Contaminated c02 filling with air mixed in? Half pint of this liquid came out of the tank.
-pete

It's hard to say how it happened. Based upon what you said, and if there isn't any beer in your air lines or regulator, it may have been there when you got the tank. You should be ok with respect to oxidation, assuming your tank was in fact CO2. Maybe give it some time and see if the bite goes away. I wonder if the tank really was filled with CO2, or if it was a welding mix. Or maybe there was a previous backflow into the tank and someone just filled on top of it, which seems like the most likely cause to me. Regardless, the remedy is to take of the valve and check it out.

Agreed I think it was in there from the start but the co2 liquid was masking the noise.

Makes me annoyed that some fools might be messing up tanks at the brew shop. I never burst carb by shaking or over fill kegs to the c02 metal tube. Sigh. Just another thing to watch out for, dang variables.

Not here.

But as every outfit around here does tank swaps, now I have something completely different to worry about.

And thanks for that...

Cheers! ;)

I feel your pain for those if you who are forced to swap. I have a buddy who has a hydrostat company so I buy new tanks and keep them pretty. There is an air store where I can get them filled (5#) for around $15. Tank never leaves my sight.

This was important to me because I once had an issue with the valve on a 20# NO2 tank which blew a leak while in the car. Not fun time. And I won't even start about the problems I have had over the years with propane tank valves from exchanges. Now I drive to get them filled.

Regardless, sounds to me like you just got a bad tank, so I would swap it out and give it another try. Otherwise, you have to look for a place that will fill it where you are there, even if you have to motivate the guy on the side, if you catch my drift.

Back