Liqueurs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottUV

Reaction score
Does anyone have any good recipes for liqueurs? I have both a lemon and vanilla liqueur/vodka that I've made a week ago that I haven't tried yet. For the lemon I took 15 or so lemons worth of zest in a 750 ml vodka with vodka. For the vanilla vodka, I used about 5 vanilla beans, which is probably overkill, but I had them on hand and used a 750 ml bottle and vodka as well. I plan on adding a bit of sugar to both of the liqueurs soon. I know I can just go to the seasoning section of the grocery store and buy 'extracts' and make all sorts of liqueurs, but I was hoping to do something a little more 'exciting.' On a side note, you can buy vanilla beans on ebay for real cheap. I paid maybe 5 dollars for ten vanilla beans. I read a recipe for a white chocolate liqueur (for the girlfriend) that was something like white chocolate pudding mix and melted white chocolate... Any suggestions? What have you guys tried?

Check Beanzilla.com for good Vanilla too. Terry Garey describes a pretty simple method of making them in The Joy Of Home Winemaking. She suggests 2 cups of sugar made into a syrup with 1 cup of water, 16 oz of 80 proof Vodka and a bottle of extract. For using real fruit, she suggests keeping the Sugar to a minimum while the fruit (1-2 # of Raspberries in her recipe) while the vodka is on the fruit. She suggests leaving it in a dark cupboard where you'll see and shake it daily till the fruit is WHITE. Then strain with a coffee filter and add back sugar syrup till it tastes right. Then you just need to let it clarify like any other wine, and bottle. She does suggest that you keep these in a cool dry place.

Any idea why the fruit turns white? Is that the alcohol leaching all the sugars/flavor compounds?

Back