Lions SUCK!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He'd certainly be considered, but do you think there's more value in Freeman at #33 or shoring up the defense with a guy like Alphonso Smith or Ron Brace? (looking at today's version of the dt mock)

@33 I think Freeman has a lot more value. Smith isn't much better than guys like Coye Francis/Vic Harris. Brace has question marks and guys like Chris Hampton might be available later. I think we'd be in a better position getting value from Freeman than reaching for anyone else.

Remember to check out Mlive.com next Monday, I'll be part of their podcast series making my argument against Stafford--hopefully he won't get signed before then (hopefully he won't get signed at all!)

I think the Lions have some winnable games on the schedule this year. They will win 3 games this year; snapping the losing streak at Lambeau as win number one. They will also beat St. Louis and Minnesota at home without the Williams in the middle. They could surprise people and win four or five. I am also predicting 5 games will be blacked out.

After seeing the schedule, I see them winning 3, maybe 4 games right now. My prediction may change if they have a defense-heavy draft (like I think that they should).

The ticket is saying that the fan's down there were making it clear to the Lions organization NOT to draft Stafford...

I heard that as well, then Predident and CEO Tom Lewand promptly told reporters afterward that the #1 pick is not about making the fans happy on Saturday, it's about choosing the player that will make the fans happy in 1 year or 2 years, or 3 years.

To me that sounds like Stafford is their guy.

Ugh, here we go again.

I heard that as well, then Predident and CEO Tom Lewand promptly told reporters afterward that the #1 pick is not about making the fans happy on Saturday, it's about choosing the player that will make the fans happy in 1 year or 2 years, or 3 years.

To me that sounds like Stafford is their guy.

Ugh, here we go again.

Yep, I heard the same thing.....ugh, ugh, ugh....

I don't like Stafford, but the Lions should NOT draft with the idea of taking the players their fans want. Remember how pissed the Eagles fans were when they drafted McNabb instead of Ricky Williams?

Doesn't matter what the Lions do for QB. They will ruin him. They need to focus on the OL and D and build up a QB after they can protect him and the score.

And I read that they may already be signing a player ahead of the draft... Wonder who it is.

Doesn't matter what the Lions do for QB. They will ruin him. They need to focus on the OL and D and build up a QB after they can protect him and the score.

And I read that they may already be signing a player ahead of the draft... Wonder who it is.
According to the reports - If they can get Stafford signed for the same money as Jake Long signed for last year than he is the man - If not its probably Curry.

Sources: Matthew Stafford agrees to $41.7M, six-year deal with Detroit Lions - ESPN

We all knew this was coming and now its official. Stafford is going to be the #1 pick today. What a sad day for the franchise. This pick stinks and has Ford senior's name all over it. Just because the kids name is Staf-FORD does not mean we should draft him. He may as well change his name to Staphford because he is going to be a 6 year infection for this team. He is another Joey Harrington all over again, except he now has the highest guaranteed salary in league history. Ford Sr. thinks that just because Stafford went to the same high school as Bobby Layne (best Lions QB Ever) that he is going to be as good as he was. I was looking at this kids stats just now, and the past three seasons Georgia barely played any top 10 teams. And when they did, Stafford was a choke artist. Hell, his highlight reel is a joke too. All touch passes that were way too short or badly thrown. Pro DB's are going to have a field day with this kid! They're going to draft an OT at #20 too, just you watch.

You would think after taking Andre Ware and Joey Harrington, then seeing players such as Alex Smith, Ryan Leaf and Tim Couch they would be more hesitant in taking the hyped up QB. This team needed an impact player from day one, not a player who they can build around. They're applying the same damn philosophy they used when drafting Harrington and look how that ended! Detroit is going to eat this kid alive and send him back to his momma. The fans will NOT get behind him and he is going to buckle under the pressure.

Sorry for the rant, I am really pissed and I'm sure Ohiobrewtus is going to be as well.
Damn you Detroit Lions, I wish I could quit you.....

Absolutely the dumbest move by a pro organization since the Darko Milicik fiasco...

Even if he pans out their cap is shot down the road.

I need another beer or 6-pack most likely!

'Brewtus, wouldn't it be easier to just put that in your sig?

I'm rooting to be dead-wrong on my evaluation of this years's QB class; Sanchez, I want to fail because he's a member of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS, and Stafford I want to do well just because it'll drive you up the wall!

Maybe I should draft him for FFB next year... :D

'Brewtus, wouldn't it be easier to just put that in your sig?

You know, it probably would... but then I wouldn't feel the satisfaction I get from typing it out.

F Matt Stafford.

I'm rooting to be dead-wrong on my evaluation of this years's QB class; Sanchez, I want to fail because he's a member of the J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS, and Stafford I want to do well just because it'll drive you up the wall!

Maybe I should draft him for FFB next year... :D

I think it's the opposite. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco were considered to be successes based on the years that they had last year. I expect Sanchez to start most, if not all, of the year and put up numbers that are comparable, if not better, than what Ryan and Flacco did last year.

I expect Stafford will fail miserably and the Lions will then pick another QB #1 overall in 2015 after winning 10-15 games over the course of the next 5 seasons.

F Matt Stafford. :D

FWIW, Stafford will never see the last 2 years of this contract. Those 2 years are heavily backloaded. Apart from the prorated portion of the $41.7 million guaranteed, his actual salary numbers for the first 4 yours as they count against the cap will be very very low unless he reaches playing incentives and becomes the next Peyton Manning.

If he plays well, then the Lions will rip up the last 2 years of this deal and give him an even more lucrative deal to reward him for turning the team around.

If he turns into Joey Harrington, then he'll be cut after the 4th year with little to no additional cap hit.

I'm a fan of the team and I want to see them do well, so I hope that the kid has success. I want to see him become the next great QB in the league and help lead this team from the NFL's basement... I just don't think he can do it.

I will cheer them on every Sunday just like I always do... I just think that they would have helped themselves more by selecting Aaron Curry and taking him up on his offer to take less than the $30 million guaranteed that Jake Long got last year at #1 overall.

True about his contract. They actually wrote it with some common sense. However, they still picked a QB and we all know how that will work. Of course millions of fans could be wrong!

Amazing after 36 pages this thread is still going strong,

I like it how they are implying that Stafford won't play till late 2009, early 2010 yet he was the first pick of the draft. To me if you're "good" enough to be the first pick of the draft and make that ungodly amount of money you should be playing from day one. As if he's not 'ready' or doesn't have the skill to then why bother drafting him to begin w/?

it's nice to see the lions signing a decent LBing core, see sims, peterson, foote, now we need to worry about the secondary.:D

You don't think doing more of the same as last year with the corners will work out for us this year? Bodden and that old POS from Tampa were the best Corner duo in the league last year; thats why we got another old Tampa corner and paired him with an old Dallas corner. It's just simple logic that this can not fail.

Well, It appears that now;

Flying+Pig.jpg

And;

funny_graduation_card_hell_freezes_over-p137834164602600933q53o_400.jpg

So that must mean, like the sign says, it finally happened. :D

Lions Finally End Embarrassmen; 20 Game Win Streak Ends With 19-14 "W"

nfl_g_lionscelebrate_576.jpg

First win since Dec 23rd, 2007.....:rockin::rockin:

Latest posts

Back