Line lengths and pouring speed calculation New excel test

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born2dive9702

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am looking for volunteers to try a new line length and pour calculator on an excel document.
If you are interested in testing you can find it here
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bxfs98TezoYqYm5vRkg5X0pkVHM?usp=sharing

I am trying to make it easier for everyone and especially for beginners entering into brewing and soda making to be able to get a perfect pour without foam even at different altitudes.

I have done some very extensive calculations and have plugged them into an excel document, The numbers are working for me, but I am hoping that the people who have systems up and running will compare their lengths and pour speeds and elevations against my excel sheet.

I would be very curious to see how close I have gotten with the numbers.
For all those who are having problems with Ultra 235 bev seal, The actual resistance values have finally been determined and have been verified by a dispensing company in Taiwan, might be worth a look.

Please let me know how close are the numbers in the excel sheet to the real world numbers. Thank you all...

It appears this "calculator" is using the same values for line resistance that pretty near everyone trying to solve the problem uses.
Hence it gives the same results, which usually prove unsatisfactory and leads to about half the traffic in the HBT Bottling/Kegging forum looking for help on excessively foamy pours.

Fortunately there's still one line length calculator that gets the physics right...
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Cheers!

When I first started with soda dispensing the one you suggested was the first "calculator" I used. And it never did work. I got 65' of 3/16" hose. I originally tried the 65' come to find out it would have taken a dispensing pressure of 40 psi to get soda out of that length of hose.

I had to cut my hoses down to 13' for diet soda, and 10' for full soda, due to the fact it did not consider the fitting restrictions, shank and faucet restrictions, laminar pipe roughness, altitude, at 65' I never got a flow out of the hose.

It was way way off when I tried to use it for soda. as well as for beer.

As for the physics, The numbers are based on physics in my opinion, looking at it deeper than the other one you suggested

I appreciate the input.

Day Tripper, what are your numbers of your setup.
What psi are you at? how long of hose are you running? what size of hose? what is your elevation and flow rate? I would really like to know to see how far off my numbers are.

Thanks

It appears this "calculator" is using the same values for line resistance that pretty near everyone trying to solve the problem uses.
Hence it gives the same results, which usually prove unsatisfactory and leads to about half the traffic in the HBT Bottling/Kegging forum looking for help on excessively foamy pours.

Fortunately there's still one line length calculator that gets the physics right...
http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17/determining-proper-hose-length-for-your-kegerator/

Cheers!

Absolutely correct and Duely noted, however this is best fixed with a glycol system to keep the beer tower/taps cold. This calculator is assuming that the beer/soda is being dispensed at the tap equal or colder than the temp of the keg.

In my system I keep the kegs at 36.5, and have a glycol system running at 30 degrees this brings the beer/soda down to about 32 degrees as it coming out of the tap, and because it is colder than the keg storage temp/ and co2 levels, it keeps the co2 in and will not foam up.

It has worked for years, up until this new tower I purchased (hose dimension problems compatibility)

there's other issues that can arise with foam besides hose length, my issue is cold to warm, beer is cold but my taps are up on the wall and warm, instant foam no matter how the hose is situated so its relative to where you put your taps really

There is no way in hades I would open a strangers xcel file! Virus city! I used Mikes calculator and other than needing to tweak 1-2 PSI it was fine! Faucets are mounted in the fridge door so stay cool(not cold) and foaming is not an issue! I get a nice 1 to 1 1/2 inch head on my beer! And as creamy and fine as that head is I consider it a trademark of my beer and get comments from friends on how different it is than a commercial beer.

Hello Mary, I agree with you that we all should be careful with viruses but, an excel document usually do not contain any viruses not since the 90's Google drive does a very good job on scanning documents for viruses both on the up load side, and on the download (user side).
3rd most excel documents do not use macros, this is the only place in a excel doc where a potential virus could be.
4th most people have excel macros turned off by default, you have to physically enable macros permission in a excel document. So the likely hood that excel would give the user a virus is highly unlikely, there are much more effective means, i.e. e mail.

Mary would you let me know what are your line lengths, pressures, temps and flow rate. beer or soda?

I have tried mikes calculator for soda and like I said it was WAY off.

There is no way in hades I would open a strangers xcel file! Virus city! I used Mikes calculator and other than needing to tweak 1-2 PSI it was fine! Faucets are mounted in the fridge door so stay cool(not cold) and foaming is not an issue! I get a nice 1 to 1 1/2 inch head on my beer! And as creamy and fine as that head is I consider it a trademark of my beer and get comments from friends on how different it is than a commercial beer.

Only doing beer right now... line lengths are 12' for the lower row of kegs and 11' for the upper row(sits 9" higher). Never timed it but a pint takes around 15 seconds to fill at 12psi...

Back