Line free kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheInnKeeper

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
E6F1E0F2-BB6F-4E86-AAEB-08938DD263E9.jpeg
So I have the perfect mini fridge to hold 4 of these 2.5 gal torpedo kegs. This tap configuration will allow me to have 2-3 cold kegs tapped and pressurized with one on reserve! Right now I have a single intertap flow control with a nukatap preordered.

I see factory 1.5 gallon keg “party bombs” being sold so I figured they must have figure out a way to minimize foam for a keg mounted faucet? Thanks I’m advance

I see factory 1.5 gallon keg “party bombs” being sold so I figured they must have figure out a way to minimize foam for a keg mounted faucet?

The flow control faucet would be the (only) way to minimize foam in this kind of setup. It's going to have to be set pretty dang tightly. Really, I don't think they are intended to provide that much resistance, but I think it might work. The ones I use in my keezer (perlick) are fairly smooth all the way down to fully restricted.

Beer gas will make the beer go flat with time so in a sense it will reduce foaming by reducing carbonation. Probably not what you're looking for though.

I use a similar setup just not so shiny-looking and have zero issues with foaming provided the beer is not overcarbed and the flow control is opened only a little. This will give you a rather slow pour so probably not so great if you're entertaining 10+ thirsty guests but if you're not in a hurry it shouldn't be a problem

If by 'beer gas' you mean the nitro/co2 mix, it won't make the beer go flat. It just needs to be provided at a higher pressure level to give the amount of CO2 needed to maintain carbonation levels. The common mixes are [nitro/co2] 75/25 and 60/40. So, you'll need to push 4x the PSI to the keg with the 75/25 mix to get the CO2 volumes desired.

I have a 20 cubic foot 75/25 mix bottle right now feeding my porter. I might get the 60/40 mix when I swap it out (not sure when that will be yet). Also not sure if I'll go to the 60 cubic foot at that point. It all depends on how long it takes me to go through this first one.

I know Maine Oxy (in New England) has both mixes. I don't know if AirGas carries both. I know they have the 75/25 mix though. Luckily, I have two locations for each in my area.

If by 'beer gas' you mean the nitro/co2 mix, it won't make the beer go flat. It just needs to be provided at a higher pressure level to give the amount of CO2 needed to maintain carbonation levels.
If he were to do that with a standard flow control faucet (his current setup as per the attached picture) without the nitro attachment he'd have to repaint the room or at least have to take a shower and change into fresh clothes every time he tries to pour himself one. He's got foaming issues now, think of what would happen with 4x the pressure...

We can safely assume he was going to push the beer at the same pressure but with beer gas, which would make the CO2's partial pressure drop with time and CO2 would be released from the beer making it lose carbonation as the keg empties.

If he were to do that with a standard flow control faucet (his current setup as per the attached picture) without the nitro attachment he'd have to repaint the room or at least have to take a shower and change into fresh clothes every time he tries to pour himself one. He's got foaming issues now, think of what would happen with 4x the pressure...

We can safely assume he was going to push the beer at the same pressure but with beer gas, which would make the CO2's partial pressure drop with time and CO2 would be released from the beer making it lose carbonation as the keg empties.
I never assume... I'd also only use nitro mix where it makes sense, or is of benefit to the recipe. I do plan to try it out in one of my IPA's at some point. Just not sure when. Since I'll probably need to change my regulator to a dual body and install another gas bulkhead in the keezer collar to support it. Plus [maybe] add another gas manifold to the setup. Running out of space on the collar to do that. :D

I'd also only use nitro mix where it makes sense...
The OP wasn't going to and that's why I had to explain the consequences of improperly using beer gas to him. Don't know where you got the impression we were discussing your setup...

I have the peerless faucet, turning it into a nitro tap is as simple as replacing the faucet tip.....Id love to have some ale on nitro!

somewhere In the bowels of this forum is a post talking about flow controls on your qds. I don’t remember who exactly I was going back and forth with but he essentially said as a direct connection it wasn’t optimal. Had to drill out a hole in the fitting, the control was super touchy, etc.

even just a foot or two of line made big difference as I recall. Perhaps you could have 2-3 foot lines to the taps, and mount all the taps together On a piece of wood or metal? Not as convenient as self contained kegs neither is pouring tons of foam.

That’s a good idea, nice to have a backup plan if I can’t make it work.

I wanted to make it portable too......maybe I can get some kind of “tap clamp” to attach the tap to the keg handle or something?

I think they make those. cant remember where I saw it but I think somebody sells them

somewhere In the bowels of this forum is a post talking about flow controls on your qds.
Kegland makes flow control ball lock disconnects. The first generation introduced a significant amount of restriction, even fully open. There's a 2nd gen version which is claimed to resolve that issue, but as of a few months ago, they hadn't reached the USA yet. William's Brewing carries them.

Flow control faucets are the way to go. I have both Perlick and Intertap versions. Make sure you use a return spring to avoid spills. I prefer the Perlicks for flow, however the forward action of the Intertap flow valve works better on kegs.
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG

Kegland makes flow control ball lock disconnects. The first generation introduced a significant amount of restriction, even fully open. There's a 2nd gen version which is claimed to resolve that issue, but as of a few months ago, they hadn't reached the USA yet. William's Brewing carries them.
I bought 2 of these about 2 months ago. I had the problem that even fully open they would only trickle. Fixed by opening them up and grinding off the part that prevented you from opening them up further. Now they are great! Just don't open them up too far or you'll be doing a lot of cleanup.

You can have issues with foam, on those kegs you need to turn the flow control down. I wouldn't expect that you'd have the same performance as a fully dialed in setup with 10 feet of feeding line, but these are a good compromise, I use mine daily. If you use the chrome adapters off the cheap imported tap handles, they clear the shuttle on the Perlick and Intertap units without grinding (see the 3 units on the second image for reference.) The one in the lower right is a domestic stainless unit which does not clear the shuttle.

That is awesome news thank ya sir, I don't mind the pour being a little slower as long as its tolerable......for me the trade off of not having any keg lines is totally worth it.

If it made a HUGE difference I guess I'd be willing to wrap a couple feet of kegline around the keg somehow if I could make it look nice and neat but if it works without it then even better.

thanks everyone!!

Back