Lime zest/juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richross

Reaction score
So I am planning my next batch to be a take on Uprights Fatali Four which is a sour wheat beer fermented with peppers. To add an extra layer of complexity, I want to include lime zest or possibly juice. I am familiar with the practice of adding zest as a late boil addition or at flame out but has anyone used juice as well/instead. The Commons Brewery in Portland has a beer, Eidolon, which was brewed with meyer lemon zest and juice but I'm not sure how they did it. Any advice?

Juice and zest the lime into a pan. Add just enough water to cover the lime zest. Boil and add to secondary.

I like to add zest in a nylon bag right in the serving keg for a day and then remove right after racking, or in fermenter for a day before racking. Gets alot more flavor that way and less zest goes a lot further with it.

Be careful not to add any pith. Pith is very bitter, and just a little bit will change your flavor profile.

dbennett78 said:
I like to add zest in a nylon bag right in the serving keg for a day and then remove right after racking, or in fermenter for a day before racking. Gets alot more flavor that way and less zest goes a lot further with it.

That seems like the best way to go. Add it as close to serving as possible. One of the local breweries runs their bitter through a Randall with orange peels and it tastes amazing.

Adding to secondary sounds like a good way to go. Hoping for a subtle to medium lime character. Mainly why I was thinking of going the Belgian wit route and adding at the end of boil. In the experiences mentioned above, how prominent was the lime flavor? And how do I get a nylon bag out of a carboy once it's in?

Adding to secondary sounds like a good way to go. Hoping for a subtle to medium lime character. Mainly why I was thinking of going the Belgian wit route and adding at the end of boil. In the experiences mentioned above, how prominent was the lime flavor? And how do I get a nylon bag out of a carboy once it's in?

Forget the nylon bag and just put it in the fermenter. The nylon bag (I assume) is to stop it getting in the keg lines.

I usually steep zest in a little vodka for a week before adding. Just enough to cover it. The vodka sanitizes it, and the higher alcohol hleps extract the oils. I then add both the zest and the vodka to the secondary.

Forget the nylon bag and just put it in the fermenter. The nylon bag (I assume) is to stop it getting in the keg lines.

I usually steep zest in a little vodka for a week before adding. Just enough to cover it. The vodka sanitizes it, and the higher alcohol hleps extract the oils. I then add both the zest and the vodka to the secondary.

Thanks for the input/suggestion. I just zested 3 limes and used about 1 1/2 ounces of vodka to cover it. In about a week I'll add the zest & vodka along with the juice from the 3 limes into secondary and rack the beer. Hope all goes well with this experiment.

Back