Light Wheat Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I am about to start a string of 3-4 lagers, I did this last winter and it works out well because I can primary in my keg freezer since most of my winter drinking beers are best served around 50.

This year I want to start with a fairly low gravity beer that will consumed in the summer and used to grow the yeast for the next batch. I also was hoping to brew something that BMC drinking Dad would like.

I am thinking of something a long the lines of a standard American lager, but replacing half the base malt with white wheat malt. Keeping it light and crisp, but adding the wheat to bump up the flavor.

Here is what I have so far:
Target OG: 1.039
Target IBUs: 15
Picture1-3.png

I would like to get this very dry, so I am thinking of mashing around 146-148 for 90 minutes. I am not opposed to reducing the amount of rice, this was just a start. Also, not set on the 0 minute hop addition, after the extended lagering I am not sure this will even show up.

I am not sure what yeast to use, I would like to use a German lager strain since all the following lagers will be German. I am leaning towards WLP833 German Bock Lager Yeast but I am worried it will not attenuate down enough.

Thanks for any input.

sounds good.

in my experience, that wlp833 will not attenuate very far - I think 70% is about the highest I've achieved with it. Maybe go with Wyeast 2124 or 2206?

Looking at it again, I think I will go with the 34/70 (wlp830) yeast. Should give me good attenuation and versatility for any other lagers I want to brew.

Wow. I am surprised no one has anything else to say.

I guess no on is interested in formulating fizzy yellow beer.:drunk::D

me again :)

I think the wlp830 and Wyeast 2124 are the same, and I have got pretty good attenuation out of the 2124 before...

me again :)

I think the wlp830 and Wyeast 2124 are the same, and I have got pretty good attenuation out of the 2124 before...

Yes they are. That is the only other lager yeast that I have used before. I got a lot of sulfur production out of that yeast, was going to use another yeast, but I think that is best yeast to use.

Back