light session beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviesteve31

Reaction score
whats up guys im new to the brew game, and after trolling the threads for a light session beer i decided to just ask. I am a extract moving to partial guy. I bottle no keg "YET!" so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Read, read, read. It's the best advice I can give you. I'd check out The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papizan and How to Brew by John Palmer. Those two books will cover the basics and provide you with a lot of info and recipes to try.

Thanks SC Ryan I think this is the rout i am going to go. i will proably borrow a mash tun from some one and make this my first all grain brew. Is there a liqued yeast I can use versuse the Nottingham or hydrating is the way to go?

I would rehydrate but a lot of people just sprinkle the yeast into the fermentor. I would use 1056 or WLP001 if you want to go liquid.

I slum with:

3 lbs x-dark DME
1 lb roasted
1 lb brown sugar

1 oz fuggles 45 min.

WL irish ale yeast.

Light doesn't have to be flavor-lite.

My Brother in law, my dad, swmbo, and I drained almost a whole keg of this thanksgiving.

I have tried to re-create it AG with OK results. for the ease, I just grab the x dark dme once every 3 months or so.

It just doesn't get old.

Now I feel like a noob I have read this a few times now I'm lost I got the DME... What is the roasted part? Does the brown sugar flavor come through a lot? Can I bottle? This sounds real good

steviesteve31 said:
Now I feel like a noob I have read this a few times now I'm lost I got the DME... What is the roasted part? Does the brown sugar flavor come through a lot? Can I bottle? This sounds real good

Roasted is a steeped grain. . brown sugar comes through a little, i prefer it to tAble sugr.... new phone ;),

AHHHH!!! that's better. the app is good in a pinch, but I likes me a real keyboard.

Roasted is a grain that must be crushed and steeped if not mashed. Brewing all extract is OK, but if you aren't at least steeping something, where is the fun in that?

Roasted Barley.

Back