lifetime of pH meter electrodes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been searching this forum for info on pH meters since I've not been happy with my brews since going to water profiles built from RO. I have used water profile spreadsheets for mineral additions, but that's no substitute for an actual measurement.

I'm looking at the most recommended meters in the $100 dollar range, and see that the lifetime of the electrodes is generally stated to be a year or two. Replacements seem to be around $40.

My question is what wears out the electrode? Is it usage or is it shelf life? I brew around 6-8 times a year and it seems strange that I may only get a dozen or so uses per electrode. Is this what I should actually expect?

Also, what should I do to ensure the longest electrode life possible?

Well, you get what you pay for. I had a Milwaukee that I paid $100 for and after a few years it died. Up to that point it worked fine, just the electronics were obviously piss poor. Based off what AJ's research showed I bought a Hach pocket Pro+. It is a bit more expensive after shipping and taxes are figured; but, my initial test showed as others have seen, it is extremely stable. And that is really what is important, is it a stable meter? I can't answer your probe questions, perhaps AJ will jump in on that one. In the meantime I would read his primer on pH meters to get a good idea of what you are dealing with as they are much more complex than you might expect.

That Hach pocket Pro+ is around $100, and is one I'm considering.

I was looking at some of the threads that AJ was commenting on that are probably the ones you are referencing. I see that sufficient quality can be had around this price, and yes, without stability a meter is worthless. I'm just trying to get some clarification on electrode life.

They have storage solution that the meter electrode may need to be keeped in. It's just one more thing to think about refilling. I keep mine in a beaker so it won't dry out as fast

Back