Lid wasnt sealed!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeDrewBrew

Reaction score
So my Chinook/Mosaic blonde ale has been in the fermenter for the past week and with things bein busy and being sick i havent paid much attention to activity but from what i seen their was none.
I decided to press down on the lid to see if air bubbles come up and nothing. So i checked the lid for a good seal and it wasnt!
I opened it up to see that their was alot of yeast floating on top.
I resealed it properly and stored it away..

So my ?
Can i expect any off flavours cuz of this or anything else if anyone knows.

A picture would help, but if the yeast did its job there was a blanket of CO2 protecting your beer from Oxygen. Many 'bucket brewers' have no airlock activity due to leaks/improper seals and the beer comes out fine.

It is probably OK.

By "Yeast floating on top" do you mean a dropped krausen? If so, this is a good sign.

The yeast floating is flocculation (yeast comes together). Totally normal. It will drop inside of a week.

I never seal my buckets when fermenting. Don't worry about it. You'll be fine.

I'd have been like, "Cool... My lid wasn't sealed. Should be easier to pry off now." :D

Seriously though, no worries. Snap it down and carry on like normal.

The point here to remember is that nasties aren't ninja acrobats. They settle straight down in the air. They're basically free-floating to look at it that way, so you should be fine. My Brewer's Best bucket & any others made by that company's manufacturer don't have seals in the lid. so they leaked under the higher pressures of initial fermentation.

I never seal mine either, because I can't get the dang things off even with the bucket lid tool. The only caution I take is to not leave them in there too long after primary fermentation is over, as soon as the beer is clear I get it out of the bucket. Once CO2 production stops the beer will start to become exposed to oxygen. If you're going to age something I'd put it in a vessel you can seal better with less headspace.

I only ever snap my lids down in a couple places just to give it a bit of extra security in case something bumps it. I've learned that airlocks are just not worth the effort with a bucket, had the lids pop off too many times cause of clogs.

I never seal mine either, because I can't get the dang things off even with the bucket lid tool. The only caution I take is to not leave them in there too long after primary fermentation is over, as soon as the beer is clear I get it out of the bucket. Once CO2 production stops the beer will start to become exposed to oxygen. If you're going to age something I'd put it in a vessel you can seal better with less headspace.

+1

I typically keg within a few days of the krausen falling. I originally stopped sealing the lid when I began using a ferm chamber and a thermowell. The thermowell goes in the airlock port. I had planned initially to add a 2nd hole/grommet to my lids to accommodate both thermowell and airlock, but my laziness got the better of me and I just went with just the thermowell and called it good. I peak inside daily to check status and see when the krausen drops, so locking the lid would make this a pain. After more than two years doing it this way, I've never had an issue with infection, oxidation, or critters.

After watching this video: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xClXKMhcFr0[/ame] I stopped worrying about a tightly sealed lid. I'm now using a properly seated lid using gravity with no airlock.

Back