lid on pot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukesbb37

Reaction score
Two questions.

1) My stovetop really struggles to get water to a rolling boil without using the top. I use a 30qt turkey boiler pot. I have read that you shouldn't use the top when brewing tho. My question is which is worse... Adding DME before the water is completely boiling... or using the top to get it boiling and then adding DME.

question #2. I used a weldless fittting but still have a small drip coming off the pot. The drop is between the threaded coupler and the valve... could i use a touch of solder between the brass valve and the aluminum pot to seal it up?

I would prefer using the pot and then adding DME. Now, I'm not an extract brewer, but I was under the impression that DMS is not an issue with extract. Am I wrong? I claim ignorance, so take that with a grain of salt and don't accuse me of propagating bad info. Either way, you should be able to alternate lid on and lid off and be able to get rid of any DMS that might be formed. But you should be fine to use the lid to get it to a boil, and then add the DME.

1. I would use the cover to get a good rolling boil add DME cover get the boil rolling again then uncover.
2. Take the fitting apart and put some teflon tape and wrap it around the threads quite a few times 5 or 6 then put it back together solder is not going to help on a threaded fitting its probably not tight enough you cant solder aluminum to brass.

Yes you can solder aluminum to brass. I used to use acid flux & silver solder. But it would be cleaner & easier to try the thread sealing tape first.

I'd add the DME after bringing the water to a boil using the lid. It's my understanding that the DME really only needs to be sanitized and dissolved into solution. 15-20 minutes at boiling, or near boiling temperature, should take care of this.

Not having a roiling boil will probably affect the hop utilization more than the DME. Less utilization of the hops is said to be a side affect of not having a roiling boil.

Back