Lid on Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rogue14

Reaction score
I am hoping my beer isn't totally ruined. I moved my brew into a new vessel to dry hop it and after 4 days I noticed that the lid may not have been completely sealed. I sealed it and let other sit a couple more days. I am getting ready to keg it now. Is there anything I can do to help it? My guess is that at this point it is what it is. The only way to tell is to taste the beer after it carbs up.

Doesn't matter if it was sealed as long as it was covered. Anything that can infect your batch doesn't have the ability to climb up and under the lid... It'll be fine.

There is nothing to be done but relax. I have heard some people dont even snap the lid down completely and it is fine. No worries

Listen every house has airbournes from whats to whatevers including spores You breath this stuff all day everyday. You cook around it you clean around it you eat around it etc.... Are you ill? If fuzz aint growing on it i wouldnt even give it a second thought! I dont eat green bread so i dont drink beer growing fuzz. If it looks healthy i wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Everything's fines.

You really don't need an airtight seal on your fermenter. The co2 coming out of there would protect your beer. In fact many folks with arthitis and other issues don't snap the lid down on their buckets anyway, and may folks just put tinfoil, plastic wrap, metal cookie sheets or even plexiglass sheets on top of the bucket instead. It's really not crucial to be tight. The bad stuff are not ninja acrobats, they really can't get into stuff. The co2 coming out will prevent anything getting in.

In fact you don't want a "pressurized" bucket, if you have one, then at some point you will end up with a ceiling full of beer. I've had that happen when the vent (airlock) gets blocked by a freak hop cone, and it wasn't pretty.

Thanks everyone. I sampled it yesterday as I transferred it to the keg and it seemed fine. Pretty damn tasty IMHO.

Back