Lid notch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear. Doesnt sound too easy. Looks like Ill have to find friends with power tools.

But isnt that the 'dangerous infection / wild yeast' phase? I thought you b oiled with the lid off then put it on for chilling.

Everything I've read says it's more important to have the lid off during cooling to allow DMS to evaporate.

Good to know. Im a total novice, these kinds of things are best learned rather than experienced I guess!

AFAIK DMS (SMM?) stops evolving out of the wort around 140ºF, which is coincidentally the upper bound for spoilage organisms. I put the lid on when the kettle feels about like a hot cup of coffee.:)

I would only use the lid when you are trying to get the wort up to temp. Once it is boiling I would take it off and leave it off.

I've never even owned a lid for my boil keggle. You want to chill and get it in the fermenter as fast as possible anyways.

Exactly! Many of us who use keggles don't have a lid, and never have had a lid. Just keep stuff from falling in it after the boil, like leaves and bugs, and you'll be fine.

The precursor to DMS (SMM) escapes during the boil, that's why you don't want to put a lid on during the boil. After the boil is over and you begin to chill the wort (although there is still some SMM being generated until the wort gets below 140°F) there isn't really much steam escaping from the kettle during chilling to release the SMM. To be totally safe though, you can keep the lid off while chilling until the wort is below the 140°F mark, then put it on to keep airborne bugs and wild yeast from entering your wort (especially during hot weather when these critters are floating around in the air by the billions).

I just use a piece of foil over my keggle opening during chilling with it bent up at the site where the IC tubing goes through....cheap and works well.

Hi,
I bought opne of these: kettle
The lid fits very snugly. Do I need to notch the lid for the wort chiller?
Tom.

Do a web search for commercial sized stock pots. I bought an aluminum lid for my Morebeer 15 gal SS pot and cut a slot for my IC. I didn't want to destroy my nice SS lid. I paid $11.25 + shipping and a simple hacksaw cut the lid like butter.

Back