LHBS pulled a fast one.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmann99

Reaction score
For my first batch my LHBS gave me 7lbs of extra light dme + 1.5 of caramel/crystal grains. Which would give an OG of 1.063. I went back get the same recipe because it was good and I made a few mistakes and thought it would be even better. Well this time he gives me 3lbs plain light dme and 3.3 extra light lme + same grains. For an Og of 1.051. I didnt realize the difference until I got home. So, can I add another pound of dme to bring the OG to 1.063? If so, should I go with the extra light like in the original recipe? Thanks

If you can get some DME, get any "light" or "amber" you can. If you are in a pinch, you can even add some table/corn sugar to get it up.

No reason that wouldn't be OK. Yes, use the extra light to reproduce the recipe as close to the first one as possible. Also, and pardon my meddling, but I put the recipe into BeerSmith and the extra pound only brought the OG up to 1.059. Another 3/4 lb would get you up to where you want to be, so 1 3/4 lbs in addition to what the LHBS gave you.

My LHBS has lied to me 3 times now (oats and wheat contaminated with bugs, wrong hop percentage). I literally pay more to have products shipped so I don't have to deal with them.

The closest LHBS to me never has anything in terms of grains. I think he caters more to winemakers now as he offers more "make it at the store" programs. I called yesterday and he was out of pilsner and Vienna malts.

Really? Your out of pilsner malt? Are you even trying anymore?

In fact, he says "Well if you want, I could order it and have it here by the beginning of next week".

So not only are you out of one of the most commonly used base malts, but you have no plans on ordering more unless someone wants a "special order".

Unfortunately, mega on line retailers, with good prices and customer service are killing the brick and morter guys. Makes it hard to run and pick up something that may be needed last minute.

I assume he was low on the original DME, but he could have just said that. Instead he tells me "we're going to take a different route". I thought the LME/DME combo was going to give the same result.

The closest LHBS to me never has anything in terms of grains. I think he caters more to winemakers now as he offers more "make it at the store" programs. I called yesterday and he was out of pilsner and Vienna malts.

Really? Your out of pilsner malt? Are you even trying anymore?

In fact, he says "Well if you want, I could order it and have it here by the beginning of next week".

So not only are you out of one of the most commonly used base malts, but you have no plans on ordering more unless someone wants a "special order".

<hijack> :off:

Let me guess, you are going to the LHBS in Farmington? Every time I go in there his beer section gets smaller and smaller. I work in Augusta, and go over to Gardiner to the LHBS. Rick in Gardiner has fully stocked shelves, and he is always willing to chew the fat with you and give you help.

Sorry for the </hijack>

for future reference:

Conversion: The ratio for use between the dry and syrup forms of malt extract can be approximated as follows: 1 pound of dry malt extract would roughly equal 1.2 pounds of syrup malt extract. Likewise, 1 pound of syrup malt extract would roughly equal 0.8 pounds of dry malt extract.

Unfortunately, mega on line retailers, with good prices and customer service are killing the brick and morter guys. Makes it hard to run and pick up something that may be needed last minute.

Most of the online retailers also are brick and mortar. My lhbs is fantastic but from the sounds of this and other threads,that seems too brew the exception rather than the rule.

TL;DR brick and mortars usually go out if their service sucks, not because they can't compete.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Home Brew mobile app

Most of the online retailers also are brick and mortar. My lhbs is fantastic but from the sounds of this and other threads,that seems too brew the exception rather than the rule.

TL;DR brick and mortars usually go out if their service sucks, not because they can't compete.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Home Brew mobile app

I'll agree with this. My LHBS is great and has prices comparable to the online stores, if not better after you include shipping costs.

Luckily I have two LHBS within 30 min. I went to a different one today to pick up the extra DME I needed. He seemed to have a much larger inventory. May give them a try for my next batch.

Back