Let's Remember Some Beers (In Memoriam: "Sours")

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first couple years of de Garde were absolutely ridiculous in terms of acidity/sourness. We used to make Tums necklaces for the parties down in Tillamook so we didn't burn a hole in our stomachs. Fortunately they're restrained and more nuanced now.

I remember them being pretty reasonable at the start (late 2013-early 2014), then getting *really* acidic for a while, and later on things dialed back down.

Speaking of which, here's an early De Garde banger that was, in its prime, one of the best AWAs I've had: The Lily b1.

aviary_1415404420255_zps1pkh0lop.jpg

pete.jpg

My profile pic for the longest time. Probably my favorite beer of all time. Won the raffle for my own bottle of Saison du Fermier Batch 1 at Beyond the Brew Sours back in 2013 when Side Project just started. That beer was beautifully balanced before Cory just let acid rule the day. I couldn't even finish an entire 750 of the latest batch of Grisette by myself on Friday night. Had as many pours as was offered of that beer that night. It was an easy call. Paw Paw Lambic from Upland was definitely runner up back before that was even released. Penrose brought ****ing Oude Tart because they didn't have any of their own beer. Goose brought the abomination that was Two More Weeks and didn't even show up to talk about why it was a pile of trash. The other panel brewers had to explain what might have went wrong with it. Also figured the pic was appropriate here as the thread originator is in the background next to an Illini fan that apparently doesn't hang around these parts anymore.

I remember them being pretty reasonable at the start (late 2013-early 2014), then getting *really* acidic for a while, and later on things dialed back down.

Speaking of which, here's an early De Garde banger that was, in its prime, one of the best AWAs I've had: The Lily b1.

I still miss some of those early beers they used to make like Cornelio Nunez and Mulligan.

Still was when I had it a couple years ago. Not really that sour. I think lightly tart, funky blond ales should be made more often.
Agreed, I basically have given up on sour stuff these days avoiding instant heartburn, but I would wreck something nuanced like Brute if it was available

750s of the Russian River beers hung around the city for some time back in ‘09. Consecration 750 on a weekday was not a smart move.

That spot in the Castro had those 750 Consecrations languishing for years for like $20. Swirl, I think? Also 750s of Temptation were a regular purchase from the Toronado bottle list for quite a while. Good times.

Jester King gets all the hype for sour beer in Texas but Freetail has quietly put out a long record of really solid sour beers. Even their fruited berliners are great although that isn't my favorite style. Real Ale in central Texas is also putting out some really well made sours but there is even less history of hype with their beers than Freetail.

when i first heard about real ale's scots gone wild years back i was kinda pissed off... a soured scotch ale? what in the ****

but it's so ****ing good. and it has no reason to be at all.

i didn't buy any of the bottled ones last year, but it was one of those must have pours when you'd see it on draft at hay merchant in like 2012/2013 or whatever.

Some mentions for brett beers that have either disappeared entirely or are definite shelfturds:

New Belgium's awful brett beer collab with Lost Abbey and the brett peach beer that was only marginally better.

New Belgium's considerably better biere de mars with brett.

Ommegang's biere de mars with brett and Aphrodite.

Green Flash Rayon Vert certain to unload half the bottle on the counter.

Boulevard Saison Brett which is still produced but barely loved.

Stone Enjoy After IPA which I have no idea if they still release it but was actually a great brett beer.
Saison Brett is still a fantastic beer.

Also, has anyone mentioned VSB?

VSB was excellent from what I remember. Not sure how I'd do with the acidity now. I don't remember a lot of funk or anything other than fruit.

Oh man...VSB. That was by far the jammiest sour beer I've ever had. Really bright, with a lot of residual sugar. Before anybody very far from WI knew this was something to care about I opened one with some non-geeks and they were floored. It's greatness was self-evident. Of all the older whaley "sours", VSB would kill in this market.

Upon release it wasn't that sour a beer, even by the standards of the day. Sure, it was more sour than Cranbic or Serendipity, but that wasn't saying much. As the months went on the acidity really ramped up, and coincidently so was the demand. Within a year it was too sour for me to hang with. And, after having reassessed my life choices over a particularly good bottle of 3F OG, I sold my remaining bottles and used the proceeds to put in an order on BIAB and rent a wine locker.

The fruited 375ml sours from Side Project. They’re still popular, but not like when they first hit the scene. People were offering insane beers in trade, and sadly, I bought into the hype. I’d share the picture I took when I drank B1 Fuzzy, but it was so acidic, just being in the proximity of that beer caused my camera to melt.

giphy.gif

I never understood the Fuzzy hype. I mean it was solid for a fruited sour, maybe a little above average.

When I drank Fuzzy it was hard to tell if it was the beer going down my esophagus or acid coming back up. Early SP saisons were delicious though - haven't had one in quite a while.

64338.jpg

I had this at a share within the first 3 or 4 months of ever even having a sour beer. Had no clue what I was drinking. It was so much smoother than some of the other stuff I had tried around 2012/2013 though.

Top 10 all time American wild for me.

The first couple years of de Garde were absolutely ridiculous in terms of acidity/sourness. We used to make Tums necklaces for the parties down in Tillamook so we didn't burn a hole in our stomachs. Fortunately they're restrained and more nuanced now.

My recollection is consistent with JulianB's. The earliest de Garde beers I ever had were delicious. I was in Eugene for my sister's college graduation and de Garde had just had a tap takeover at 16 Tons. If my memory is correct, this was before de Garde even had the old space in Tillamook (or maybe they just weren't open to the public yet). I believe it was two gin barrel IPAs, Cran Bu and Bu Weisse - they were very good. And yes, B1 the Lily is a top American wild for me.

Bullfrog Et Tu Brut is another beer that this thread brings to mind. Maybe my top all-time American wild.

Last edited:
View attachment 8530
My profile pic for the longest time. Probably my favorite beer of all time. Won the raffle for my own bottle of Saison du Fermier Batch 1 at Beyond the Brew Sours back in 2013 when Side Project just started. That beer was beautifully balanced before Cory just let acid rule the day. I couldn't even finish an entire 750 of the latest batch of Grisette by myself on Friday night. Had as many pours as was offered of that beer that night. It was an easy call. Paw Paw Lambic from Upland was definitely runner up back before that was even released. Penrose brought ****ing Oude Tart because they didn't have any of their own beer. Goose brought the abomination that was Two More Weeks and didn't even show up to talk about why it was a pile of trash. The other panel brewers had to explain what might have went wrong with it. Also figured the pic was appropriate here as the thread originator is in the background next to an Illini fan that apparently doesn't hang around these parts anymore.

Something I think about from that night was the brett beer that Cory brought out. It was to be a series of brett pale ales -- no lacto/pedio, no wood aging -- using different brett strains. He brought with him what I guess was the only one packaged using a strain isolated from Drie Fonteinen. It was amazing and now it kinda bums me out that they never pursued those kinds of beers.

Something I think about from that night was the brett beer that Cory brought out. It was to be a series of brett pale ales -- no lacto/pedio, no wood aging -- using different brett strains. He brought with him what I guess was the only one packaged using a strain isolated from Drie Fonteinen. It was amazing and now it kinda bums me out that they never pursued those kinds of beers.

the bruery elements of funk:brett series was an abombination.

seriously, the biggest gushers of any non fantome beer i've ever seen.

and they sucked ****ing ass too.

He actually did them very early. I was able to try a number of the Brett Venture series. He just abandoned it like you said. They were great. Le Saissonier was that era too. Went really heavy into cultivating wild yeasts from the family farm as best I can tell. It's a noble idea. The beer has suffered in my opinion. Some of it truly is just wild now. It has gone past my level of acid tolerance.

He actually did them very early. I was able to try a number of the Brett Venture series. He just abandoned it like you said. They were great. Le Saissonier was that era too. Went really heavy into cultivating wild yeasts from the family farm as best I can tell. It's a noble idea. The beer has suffered in my opinion. Some of it truly is just wild now. It has gone past my level of acid tolerance.

I totally forgot about the Brett Ventures - recall that they were pretty tasty. I got to try them at the pre-FoBAB night at Northdown in...2013? Just happened to be there - didn't know this was going down - and there ended up being like 8 people, myself included, sitting at a table in the front with Cory while he poured them, along with du Ble B1 and Coffee Abraxas (all according to my Untappd). Can you imagine how many people would be surrounding that table these days? My how times have changed.

#memories

Brett Venture! Yes! Wasn't there also something about a C&D from Crooked Stave, like the original name was too close to one of the CS beer series' names?

Brett Venture! Yes! Wasn't there also something about a C&D from Crooked Stave, like the original name was too close to one of the CS beer series' names?
He did do one release under Brett Project, so maybe that was the reason for that change. But nobody knows it but Cory.
249667.jpg

I'll see myself out.

these were rather difficult to obtain, at least here in VA at the time. I loved them

20111005-173704-OneBigBottle-Barrel-Aged-Stateside-Primary.jpg

remember Mekong having a Stillwater event in 2011 where I was introduced to these and started me on my wild homebrew>pro career
That BA Stateside was phenomenal. I finally pulled the trigger on the lonely bottle that collected dust for awhile at one of the suburban Chicago Binny's. I think it was $10. Was definitely mad at myself for sharing it. Should've domed that little bottle. It would be a stunner on the market today.

a local whale was Odonata Beer Company Rosa. I dont think it was ever bottled, but I heard from folks that tried it that it was top 5 beer for them. Granted this was like 10 years ago

also HOTD sour was a mega whale at one point, Eve maybe? Maybe it was Bob

NightShiftSourFutures2014.jpg

Remember these? There were a few wins in the series, but many absolute disasters. Interestingly, I kept a bunch cellared and the disasters generally ended up being quite tasty after taking a few years to sort themselves out. Even opened an old bottle of Cape Codder Weisse a few weeks ago that was actually pretty decent.

Edit: Just checked my photos from that day and we actually opened two Cape Codders: One from Jan 2014 and one from Jan 2015. One was horrible, the other was quite nice. Can’t remember which was which.

Remember these? There were a few wins in the series, but many absolute disasters. Interestingly, I kept a bunch cellared and the disasters generally ended up being quite tasty after taking a few years to sort themselves out. Even opened an old bottle of Cape Codder Weisse a few weeks ago that was actually pretty decent.

Edit: Just checked my photos from that day and we actually opened two Cape Codders: One from Jan 2014 and one from Jan 2015. One was horrible, the other was quite nice. Can’t remember which was which.

I've had several of these over the years and feel like they've been about 50% good, 50% tasting like fish.

Supplication had to be my first real AWA/sour. Found my notes from March 2010 after bemoaning the $11 price tag: "Oh and I tried the Supplication on saturday. It was indeed, highly enjoyable. The cherry taste was far more palatable than the only other cherry beer I've had which was that awful Sam Adams one that was in the Summer variety pack."

Yikes, the days when my only reference for cherry in beer was Sam Adams Cherry Wheat.

OG Ever Weisse was next level. Mainer was fairly solid. The second round of those were just not the same with some being drainpours. Mystery Weisse was the absolute shits. I think eventually they admitted to some of those being ****ed.

They transitioned to their club around that time. I think I had every release for the first three years. Most were actually really good. The ones that sounded terrible were terrible. Some Brett DIPA was way better than it had any business being.

Right around the same time I had Ever Weisse, I had Ching Ching. That deserves a mention on here. I remember trying to trade for that, then bringing it to DLD 2013 or 2014.

Back