Lets make a beer/Name that beer style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonnyhammastix

Reaction score
So I am at a point in my home brew journey where I find that I have enough grains, hops and fresh harvested yeast to make a free beer. Below are the ingredients that I have on hand that i would like to use in my brew. Here are my questions to the group;

1) what should I use as my primary fermentable malt (2-row, 6-row, wheat, rye, etc...)

2) What style, if any, would this be the closest too.

3) Should I throw it all in, or use the ingredients in proportion to try and create a specific style?

Ingredients on hand:

GRAIN BILL:
Amber Malt - 1/4#
Chocolate Malt - 1/4#
Caramunich - 3/4#
Black Malt - 3/4#
Crystal 80 - 1/2#

HOPS:
Nugget - 0.5 oz
Willamette - 1.5 oz
Amarillo - 1.0 oz
Saaz - .25

YEAST:
Wyeast 1056 - harvested and washed

I would love to get some feedback from experience and knowledge of the flavor profiles of the ingredients to see what the best way to use my resources are.

get some 2 row and make an amber ale.

For 5.5 gallons @ 75% efficiency

9 lb 2 row
12 oz caramunich
8 oz crystal 80
4 oz amber

.5 oz nugget @ 60
1.5 oz Willamette @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 0

That gives you about a 5% ABV/10SRM/30ish IBU Amber ale

get some 2 row and make an amber ale.

For 5.5 gallons @ 75% efficiency

9 lb 2 row
12 oz caramunich
8 oz crystal 80
4 oz amber

.5 oz nugget @ 60
1.5 oz Willamette @ 10
1 oz Amarillo @ 0

That gives you about a 5% ABV/10SRM/30ish IBU Amber ale

Second atom

Thank you for the suggestion atom. Do you think this is playing things too safe though? it appears as if we are just taking the chocolate and black malt out of the grain bill. How would these effect the "Amber Malt", besides the obvious increase in SRM?

Make a Porter with everything you have plus 12 lbs. Maris otter. Use the same hop schedule as the amber lists above. It will be a kitchen sink brew, but all these ingredients should work well in a Porter.

Any suggestions on a unique beer style??? I've brewed an amber and porters. I know the original thread was to find out what I had and the style it would fit into, if any. I guess I'm just looking for something fun and different.

ain't making a belgian anything with 1056...

unique? same grainbill the amber recipe above but add in all the chocolate and black malt. add all the hops at 60, ferment at 85. that will be unique!

Porter or Stout with all the malts you have and some 2 row to get the gravity you want.
Use the hops in the order that you listed them, use a calculator to get the timing for the IBU that you want.

I made one with collected wort after a brew, added more malts, and misc. hops. I called it "Whats-It?"

I have a Belgian wit that I'll be kegging on Monday, so I'll have a good amount of washed forbidden fruit yeast sitting around. Belgian stout tickled my fancy. I think that may be the winner. I need to do my research into the style now, however should I add anything in as you would a normal stout (cacao, nibs, etc.)

I have a Belgian wit that I'll be kegging on Monday, so I'll have a good amount of washed forbidden fruit yeast sitting around. Belgian stout tickled my fancy. I think that may be the winner. I need to do my research into the style now, however should I add anything in as you would a normal stout (cacao, nibs, etc.)

I love this idea.

Throw all the grain in (or possibly hold back a little on the black malt and throw everything else in), get between 9 and 12 lb of base malt (any will do, really), and pour it onto the Belgian Wit cake after it's chilled.

I suggest using the Willamette and Saaz at flameout and staggering the nugget and amarillo to get the IBUs you want.

Err, a "normal stout" doesn't have things like cacao nibs added. That'd be a chocolate stout. :) I think that'd be gilding the lily, here.

Back