Lets help a brewer survive

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madscientist451

Reaction score
Cracker Barrel Brewing? it's not offensive still is it? and you know man, it's only $25 to get a sub, the price of a twelve pack!

you could even bow down to the TR, and take the test! or actually make supporting member chit chat more interesting then just the TR....

Last edited:
Whistlin' Brewing
It's a cool double reference to "Whistlin' Dixie" and also wetting your whistle...
Other cool reference:
I bet this term will initially make a lot of people uncomfortable, but if you read some history, you will learn that this song was popular around the entire country in the 19th century and was one of Abraham Lincoln's favorites. In fact, Southerners and Northerners modified the lyrics during the civil war to suit their particular views and after the civil war was over, the composer of the song passed away and his tombstone reads that his song ..."Thrills the Hearts of a Reunited Nation".
Also another cool reference is that "Whistlin' Dixie" became a reprimand against inaction (e.g. "Don't just sit there Whistlin' 'Dixie'!")...which is precisely what most people plan to do when drinking beer (inaction).

Last edited:
Whistlin' Brewing
It's a cool double reference to "Whistlin' Dixie" and also wetting your whistle...
Other cool reference:
I bet this term will initially make a lot of people uncomfortable, but if you read some history, you will learn that this song was popular around the entire country in the 19th century and was one of Abraham Lincoln's favorites. In fact, Southerners and Northerners modified the lyrics during the civil war to suit their particular views and after the civil war was over, the composer of the song passed away and his tombstone reads that his song ..."Thrills the Hearts of a Reunited Nation".
Also another cool reference is that "Whistlin' Dixie" became a reprimand against inaction (e.g. "Don't just sit there Whistlin' 'Dixie'!")...which is precisely what most people plan to do when drinking beer (inaction).
That’s an excellent suggestion. The only problem is that it assumes a level of cultural literacy which is, sadly, not as high as it used to be. Sigh.

Dixie beer has a really interesting history. They were caught several times making beer during prohibition, in the 1960s they had a batch become contaminated by construction fumes that really affected their reputation, the brewery was destroyed by hurricane Katrina, they have gone bankrupt a couple of times ... I think they can survive a name change.

I may be in the north, but I know of a brewery that was originally called "double barrel" and had to change the name...
There have been a few breweries that called themselves “Double Barrel Brewing” and had to change the name after being served a cease and desist from Firestone Walker. Apparently if you trademark a beer name, it applies to brewery names as well.

There have been a few breweries that called themselves “Double Barrel Brewing” and had to change the name after being served a cease and desist from Firestone Walker. Apparently if you trademark a beer name, it applies to brewery names as well.
You're right, forgot about that; saw the gun reference and made me think of it. Carry on.

Dixie cup brewing?
Paper Cup brewing
Mason Dixon line brewing
Dason Mixon line brewing
Pixie brewing
Jurisdixion brewing
Not racist brewing

It is believed that the name "Dixie" is derived from Jeremiah Dixon, the English-born surveyor of the Mason–Dixon line, which defined the border between Maryland and Pennsylvania, separating free and slave states subsequent to the Missouri Compromise.[24] Evidence shows that 'Dixon' became 'Dixie' in a children's game played in New York back in the 1840s.[25]
(from WIKI > Dixie)

I'd say that a beer called "Jeremiah Dixon", ... would be a dandy replacement for "Dixie". The name is close enough to be recognizably related ... yet obscure enough to avoid offending anyone.

More info on this historical figure at the wiki page on him (WIKI > Jeremiah Dixon)

There are a number of illustrations of both he and Mason on google ...
1601607833072.png

I suppose even "Mason & Dixon" could be a name.

Last edited:
Can't Be Dixie, gotta be Pixie, but still make beer brewing

edit: i was beat to it! :mug:

Last edited:
Back